Moen 1225 Cartridge Replacement - Tips Please

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by DIYERFROMVA, Jun 28, 2010.

1. DIYERFROMVA

DIYERFROMVA New Member

Just about to replace a Moen 1225 brass cartridge with a plastic one. From what I gather, they can be tough to remove without the removal tool.

Questions for the pros out there.
    Should I buy the tool before attempting to remove the old one?
    Is the tool made by Danco sufficient, or should I spring for the one made by Moen?

Any othe general tips you can share would be appreciated.

Thanks a bunch!
  2. MACPLUMB 777

MACPLUMB 777 TROJAN WORLDWIDE SALES RP

It really depends on how old your faucet or valve is if less then 10 years go with the cheap one !
    If older go with the moen puller
  3. DIYERFROMVA

DIYERFROMVA New Member

Thanks. Any tricks to using the tool? I just picked up the Danco version from H Depot. The instructions say that I should thread the screw into the cartridge and pull the cartridge out. Something tells me that it isn't going to be that easy and that I should use an adjustable wrench to rotate the tool and the cartridge prior to pulling on the tool/cartridge.
  4. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

I wouldn't know about your tool I use one made by Pasco but yes, you do want to rotate the cartridge before attempting to pull it.
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

tool

I am not sure WHICH tool it is, because I have at least FOUR different ones and any given removal can take one, two, or more of them depending on how it goes.