modify bathtub only to shower/bath combo

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by cstdenis, Jun 9, 2010.

1. cstdenis

cstdenis New Member

I would like to take a bathtub (built in) and modify it to be a bath/shower combo. Also want to put a circular shower rod around entire bathtub at same time. Is my best bet to go with a "claw-foot" tub converter and shower rod combo? Or should I just replace the faucet with a diverter faucet and get a separate D shaped shower rod? This issue is the faucet and handles are totally separate units and the claw-foot adapter usually comes as one unit. Also, how do I make sure my new faucet (very old american standard I think) will fit the old pipe?
    Thanks in advance for any help/advice.
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

They make divert spouts that allow for a tube or a hose fitting.
    The hose attachment would give you a hand held that can also be mounted high with a bracket.
    The pipe thread from the wall with be either 1/2" pipe thread, or 1/2" copper tube.
    I'm guessing 1/2" pipe.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

There are conversion diverter spouts which have the shower ring attached to the external shower riser pipe.
  4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

The issue you may have is that the walls may not be constructed to be getting sprayed with water from a shower. Depends on how it was originally installed. You could end up with moisture problems in the walls.
  5. cstdenis

cstdenis New Member

Where can I get said diverter/shower riser pipe? I can find the diverter faucet on-line, and I can purchase a D-shaped shower rod on-line, but I don't want the shower to be handheld. There is no wall behind the tub to attach a shower arm to (it is a half wall), so would like to be able to attache a pipe directly to the diverter faucet. Will it be secure enough and where can I get something like that?
  6. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

A shower arm and head would not be stable enough just connected to the spout. If you could install a bar, I've found the better hand-held heads are fine as a shower, and provide the extra flexibility to get it down to rinse the corners, or use while sitting or lying in the tub as well.