Modified Home Run Pex Water Distribution System

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by poky1234, Feb 27, 2014.

1. poky1234

poky1234 New Member

Hello,

Iam restoring a century home and I am replacing all the old plumbing system. I am trying to decide between a Home Run System or a Modified Home Run System. The house is 2 story. I want to use the Modified Home Run System and use sub manifolds. If I were to run to the second floor to supply a lav , toilet and tub could I use 1/2 inch pex to supply the sub manifold or would I have to go to 3/4? Town water pressure is around 45 lbs.

Thanks,

Doug

2. wjcandee

wjcandee Wise One

Why are you focusing on saving 50 cents on the materials?

Can I get away with half-assing the thing? Probably.

Will it be as good as if I used the proper materials? Probably not.

PS As you probably know, this pex stuff moves a lot less water per diameter than pipe like copper. So why not give the house a plumbing system that it can be proud of instead of trying to figure out the minimum that you can get away with?

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. mikeplummer

mikeplummer Plumber

you are in Ontario - so our plumbing code will dictate your minimum pipe size determined by supply fixture units, distance and service pressure. I always run 3/4" to a second story and branch 1/2" off it. I also use copper main runs

5. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    The cold for a bathroom should be 3/4"
    You do add a toilet with that.
    Hot can be 1/2"

6. poky1234

poky1234 New Member

Thanks for the answer Terry and Mike.