Mobile Home Baths - one down one to go,,,, Tub Surround Question

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by gtpvette, Apr 3, 2013.

1. gtpvette

gtpvette New Member

We've got a weekend double wide mobile home that we've been remodeling. Pics below are the master bath I just finished. We installed a Sterling Accord shower and I've got to say I really like it. You've got to understand that price point and weight are big items for us and this really fit the bill.

Before

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On to the second bath question. Space is tight so changing the footprint really isn't an option. Currently it has a 30 x 54 fiberglass tub and surround. I do believe I want to replace it with another tub as a tub with a curtain allows more shoulder room than a shower stall. I went to the mobile home supply store and found replacements but good god they are just terrible and $650 to boot. I found a American Standard enameled steel tub at the big box store for $419 but they don't do a matching surround. I've done a tile surround before but don't want the weight.

Do you guys know of a supplier of a decent single or multi piece surround where the colors should match? I've also read about the man made marble sheets, how heavy are they??? Any other options I'm not thinking about???

Thanks for your help!
  2. Arsinek

Arsinek New Member

First one turned out great. How do you like the performance of the shower kit? How hard was the installation?

Youre looking for a tub surround for the other? Only ones I know about are the ones at the big box stores, Sterling seems to be the best out of those. Im thinking about doing one myself.
  3. gtpvette

gtpvette New Member

SO far so good with the kit. Certinally is easy enough to install. Looked into cultured marble surrounds today. Looks to be about $8 a square foot, 3/8" thick and 4 lbs a square foot. I may just go ahead with it.
  4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

The marble panels aren't too heavy. I can lift and install by myself. Though tile isn't really that much weight either thinking about it. I normally pull the old tile off with the backer board is large sections that I've cut out.

Nice job on the first bath!
  5. suceress

suceress Member

Ooh! Very nice job on the bathroom. I like the shelves in the shower and I love the curved detail on the cabinet doors. Is that a white iPhone? :D
    I spy a ladder in the reflection.
    Nice mirror and I like the toothbrush and soap containers.
    I wonder if the sterling kits are lighter weight than the cultured marble. Does cultured marble require maintenance like sealing with mineral oil or something from time to time? I'm trying to remember if it was semi-porous or not.

I love looking at pictures so I would love to see photos of the existing bathroom that you want to remodel. I hope you find something you like and that is affordable!
  6. gtpvette

gtpvette New Member

The Sterling kits wall panels were very light. The back wall was a bit big a 60" x 70" but still didn't weight that much. Cultured Marble is a man made product,,, for lack of a better term a colored resin. It is not porous at all,, which is good! Looks like the cultured marble supplier has a granite look product as well. Looks nice,,, but at $15 a square foot I'll pass.

Very observant seeing the ladder. We're just finishing up the bedroom as well. This trailer was a wreck top to bottom,, we're taking it one room at a time. Lots of water damage from a bad roof,,, we needed to screw in and finish all of the drywall joints,,, and paint everything. It's been a ton of work,, but we're having fun.

A couple more before and afters

This was the old dressing area with the half wall and open to the bedroom

[​IMG]

Now a wall with a pocket door

[​IMG]

Old bedroom area

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And after

[​IMG]

We're finishing all of the trim this weekend,,, then I get to go fishing!!!!
  7. suceress

suceress Member

Excellent! It looks like you did a great job. The bedroom looks like it has a good amount of space. I've seen bedrooms in houses that are smaller. Is that a regular boxspring bed?

I'm obsessed with storage beds and have been looking into how to make a bed with hydraulic gas spring/strut/shocks (used to lift covers for things like pickup beds). It would lift up so that you could have access to stuff under the bed and it would be a platform instead of a box spring and mattress-- which would be sturdy and allow for more storage space. I think a standard queen mattress would take about two 90lb capacity struts and king would take three 80lb ones. Although two 100lb ones would probably work. I've seen all sorts of cool hidden storage things in mobile homes-- like steps that lift up to have storage underneath and such. Of course, you probably aim for less clutter, not more. LOL.

Good idea on the pocket door and nice bifold doors!
    The old space was so dark. It must have made the place feel tiny.

Is that a vintage ceiling fan or a newer model?

The flooring you put in is beautiful!

oh man, repairing all that water damage must be a pain, but at least you are making progress. I need to get in gear on my projects. Maybe this will motivate me a bit. :)
  8. gtpvette

gtpvette New Member

I finished the Bedroom this weekend. I've got to say the bed/bath area is just sooo much nicer than what it was. The pictures don't do it justice. I've got a closet organizer going in this weekend as well as the art work over the headboard.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now,,,, the next project,,,, as I siad the 2nd bath. Not as bad as the master bath, but certinally needs work. The plan is to put in new tub and a cultured marble surround, new vanitly, new flooring, new lighting and finish all of the drywall. I'm going to take a month off and go fishing before I start this one.

[​IMG]

Water heater is in the corner behind the wall

[​IMG]

I guess someone was in working on the plumbing at some point. Not much of a fix!

[​IMG]
  9. suceress

suceress Member

The bedroom looks great! I love the moulding you used and the furniture is very nice as well.

Love the little palm tree thing in the bathroom. The floor and toilet look good, but that shower/tub and the patch job have got to go!

Is that popcorn ceiling?

The current light fixture looks like a moth trap to me. LOL.

Freshwater fishing or salt water fishing?