Mixit shower faucet stem replacement

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by eisenmandj, Dec 15, 2005.

1. eisenmandj

eisenmandj New Member

I am trying to replace the stem cartridge on a mid-1960's Mixit shower faucet, but ... I can't get off the metal lever temperature control handle (MLH-MET).

It does not have a screw to keep it on as far as I can tell. It seems to be press fit onto the brass front end of the faucet stem cartridge (3A I think).

I tried to pull, and pry the lever handle off with no success. I am afraid I may brake it off by trying any harder.

Can anyone help me with this problem?
  2. Cass

Cass Plumber

While I haven't worked on one I doubt highly that it is press fit. There must be some kind of cover to remove in order to get at the screw. Once you get to it you may still have fun trying to get it off if it has been on for 40 years.
  3. mix it is junk

mix it fauceats made today are not all that good,

and I am surprised that one even lasted 40 years....

you are in for some fun and it would be wise to tread
    very cautiously with it.....

I would not even touch the thing myself without FIRST
    warning the customer that they are probably in the market for
    a NEW DELTA FAUCET, if it dies on the operating table...

if you have separate shut off valves to that fixture , its
    full steam ahead, if not you could be without water if
    it becomes difficult and decides not to play ball
  4. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

On most of the Mixets there is a screw under the decorative cap on the off/on/volume control. Then, under that know was a screw holding the temperature lever.