Mixing Valve Troubleshooting?

Users who are viewing this thread

VermontRemodeler

Reaction score
Hi!

photo (27).JPG

We've got luke-warm water suddenly at the house ... and I'm suspecting the mixing valve...It is a Honeywell AMX series mixing valve that has 155 degrees going into it and 105 degrees coming out. The temp adjustment knob has ZERO effect on the outgoing temp. A friend said that it could also be the TACO circulator pump causing the valve to not work properly. I definitely hear and feel the pump kicking on but what do you guys and gals think? How can I be sure that it is one or the other?

THANK YOU !!

Nicholas

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The circulator would usually "override" the mixer and cause extra hot water, not cooler. so it is probably the mixing valve. They are not a particularly precise or durable item.

Reach4

Reaction score
In looking up that mixing valve, it seems that the unused port on the left is intended for the recirc system. I don't know how that might affect things, but you might want to read about that.

VermontRemodeler

Reaction score
I'll definitely read up on that recirc outlet, but its been functioning fine since that install about 5 years ago so not sure that could have much to do with it in our case...

Another plumber suggested that the system might be airlocked... but I do not see how that is possible if I have 155 steady degrees at the mixing valve with the warm water flowing out of the faucet. If there was some kind of supply/circulator issue I would assume that the temp would fluctuate or drop there.... ?

All evidence seems to point to that mixing valve... ! As HJ says, they are not a particularly durable component. Plus we have well water so there is probably some sediment or mineralization that would shorten the life of this thing.....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks