Mixing SDR35 and ABS?

Users who are viewing this thread

Zimm0who0net

Reaction score
So I've got an existing house with all ABS. I'm re-landscaping the backyard and putting in a pool and as part of that I'm having a utility trench dug for a potential guest/pool house I might built in the future. It's about 170 feet long. It's going to have sewer, water, electric and gas in it. Town building code tells me I just need all the utilities to be 1' clear from any others, water needs to be higher and sewer, and various utilities have differing depth requirements. Otherwise I think I'm OK. Sewer will T into the existing line running from the outside of the house to the street.

So the excavator quoted me a price to put in the trench and all the utilities, but he quoted SDR35 pipe in the trench. Said ABS would be another $250. What do you guys think? I'm thinking stick with ABS because that's what the rest of the system is, and I know that transitioning from one material to another can be sticky (or against code). That said, the excavator told me that he uses the SDR35 for basically all of his outdoor sewer or septic runs around town. What should I do?

Incidentally, I will be pulling a permit and this will be inspected, so I want to make sure I get it right. (2012 International Residential Code in my area)

Zimm0who0net

Reaction score
Terry, are you pressing in the direction of SDR35 then? I'm pretty confident that the run from the house to the street is ABS (evidenced by the two clean outs being ABS). So I guess make the transition with a Fernco.

Also forgot to mention that I'll probably wye off a 2" port for an outdoor sink about halfway down. Can I get all the normal fittings for SDR35? (Wye to 2" reducer, 1/8 turn, etc)

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Why not use schedule 40 pipe? SDR35 is not something I would want used on my property. Too flimsy, cracks, and crushes. The only thing worse is corregated pipe.

Zimm0who0net

Reaction score
Hmmm. Good suggestion. Do you recommend the foam core SCH 40 or solid? 170 feet is enough that cost might be a factor.

Zimm0who0net

Reaction score
Ok. Maybe I should ask this a different way. Assume that my house is all ABS and the line from my house to the street is ABS. If I were to hire a very reputable plumber to put in a 170 foot branch from my main line to a future pool house, what would that plumber likely install? ABS, PVC Sch 40 Solid, PVC Sch 40 Foam Core or SDR35?

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Go with your first intuition you mentioned in your original post: ABS.
You will have no difficulty to add a 2" drain later on.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
ABS seems to be common the further one goes to the west. Everything around here is PVC. I don't think one is better than the other, but just a matter of location.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks