Mixet shower valve

Users who are viewing this thread

ldf

Reaction score
I need to replace the cartridge in my mixet shower controls..Without turning off the water, I unscrewed everything, except that the cartridge came apart. the piece I removed had a threaded shaft like a bold at the end. the other part remained in the rough valve.

do I need to call a plumber to get this piece out ?? Is it a big deal to replace the cartridge ???

mixet_valve_trim.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
mixet

I have no idea what you are talking about. How did you take it apart without turning off the water? What is a "bold"? What piece is still in the valve? If you have the older style it had a brass "adapter" between the valve body and the chrome retaining sleeve. There are two different versions depending on whether it is a fine or coarse thread.

mixet-trim-parts.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Once the cartridge IS out, without turning off the water, you'll be taking a funky shower.

mixet-valve-terrylove-01.jpg

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
In other words, shut off the water to the shower if possible or shut off the main. Then you can fool around with that cartridge.

Why are you wanting to change the cartridge anyway?

Not enough hot water?
Inconsistent water temperature?
Inconsistent volume?
All of the above?

Changing the Mixet cartridge doesn't always solve the problem. There's a 50/50 chance you'll need to replace the entire shower manifold.

ldf

Reaction score
bold=bolt. The reason I think I need to change the cartridge, is that the existing one is 30 years old and I am having a difficult time turning on the water. Without turning off the water supply, I removed the volume control, the tempature control, face plate, and the retainer nut. Then I unscrewed the cartridge/pulled it out. The botton or rear end of the cartridge remained in the rough-in valve. I am told that this is not uncommon, that the hard water caused calcium deposits to freeze that end of the cartridge. And the water pressure did not flush out the stuck part of the cartridge.

ldf

Reaction score
a picure will not show anything....the cartridge came apart, and the part that had the o ring on it, remained in the rough in valve.( frozen due to calcium deposit build-up I guess) I put it all back together again, including the retainer nut until I purchased a replacement cartridge at home depot. I have this fear that when I shut off the watersupply, and pull out the entire cartridge, that I may damage the rough in valve, and then must keep the water supply turned off until it is replaced by a plumber.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
a picure will not show anything

A picture might help us give more compete advice.

I have this fear that when I shut off the watersupply, that I may damage the rough in valve, and then must keep the water supply turned off until it is replaced by a plumber.

You may already be at that point.

give that pic a try.....

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you are replacing a cartridge, you should already have had the replacement on hand before you started messing with it, especially since you apparently don't have separate shut-offs for your shower.

In the meantime, put some white vinegar in a spray bottle and spray the heck out of the stuck part.

If that doesn't work, pick up a can of PB blaster at the autoparts store and try that.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks