Mixet Hot/cold Reversed?

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by thegoldenhand, May 31, 2005.

1. thegoldenhand

thegoldenhand New Member

Hello! Why is my mixet shower's temp control reversed? Turning it to the right give me hot water and turning it to the left gives me cold water. Does this mean the mixet cartridge was incorrecly installed? I checked for the red mark of the cartridge and it is facing upwards. What I am not sure of though is if that is really how it was inserted in when it was installed. If I twist the cartrigde around with the red mark facing down, then I get the correct temp. If the cartridge is indeed incorrectly installed, could this be the reason why I am also not having enough water pressure on my shower head?
  2. bmense

bmense New Member

The valve in the wall could have been plumbed backwards, causing the hot/cold reversal when the cartridge is installed correctly. When that happens the only choice is the reverse the cartridge so that it mixes correctly.

As far as the pressure, water pressure is should stay constant through a typical valve such as this. What you could be dealing with is a quantity/volume of water issue which can be caused by the cartridge. Don't have much more to offer than that on this part of it.

Brian
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

mixet

The original Mixet stems did not really have a "regular" or "reversed" installation. You install the temperature lever handle which ever way is necessary to give the proper indication. It has nothing to do with the pressure to the shower head.
  4. thegoldenhand

thegoldenhand New Member

Just solved my problem. I tried to reinstall the mixet cartridge and when I tested it, I still got the same low water pressure problem. I tinkered with it a bit and finally I removed the shower head and viola! there was a lot of debris in it. At least now I am enjoying the shower with rainfall effect with gusto!

The thing I noticed is, even when I installed the cartridge following the correct position (red mark facing up) I still had the reversed hot/cold temp control. I just ended up twisting the temp control clockwise (red mark facing down) and then installing the temp handle. So now left is for hot and right is for cold.

Thanks for all your help!