Missing P Trap?

Users who are viewing this thread

Danimal

Reaction score
I just replaced my countertop and sink on a kitchen island. (My house is only about 2 years old, so I'm pretty sure it should be to code.) As I'm taking a look at the plumbing to connect the new sink, I'm noticing that the sink has no visible trap. All the other sinks in my house have traps under the cabinets.

Is it possible that the P trap is below the cabinet bottom? In the picture below, you'll see a pipe on the left sticking out of the bottom of the cabinet. It protrudes about 4" and has a clean-out. Is this a vent? The drain pipe has a clean-out too, but on a 45 degree connector. No trap in sight. No Chicago loop visable. No AAV visable. Any thoughts?

The grey flexible pipe attached at the Y in the center is for my dishwasher.
IMG_20150826_161622.jpg

FYI - The pieces of wood are the temporary supports for the under-mount sink.

Thanks.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
In the USA, the trap must be above the floor...don't know where you are located (you might add it to your profile, it can help with getting the correct advice), but some countries do allow it below the floor. In any case, having that long of a pipe, even if it does have a trap beneath the floor, means lots of area that could get buildup of food particles and other gunk that starts to smell with no way to stop it. IOW, not the greatest design!

Also note that it must be vented before it can turn down at the trap arm - there is no obvious vent line, but again, it could be beneath the floor.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
(My house is only about 2 years old, so I'm pretty sure it should be to code.)

Ah. So optomistic. The guys have it right. You need a p-trap and a vent and don't appear to have either. The distance from the fixture outlet to the trap weir has to be as short as possible and in no event can the tailpiece be longer than 24", so, in addition to Jim's point, I doubt you would find the trap below the floor.

Danimal

Reaction score
Do you think that stubby pipe was to form a loop like this? I assume the stubby is attached to the drain because when I wiggle it, the main stack moves too.
How do you think I should go about lowering the stack 4" to accommodate the new sink? I don't believe there is room for the loop as indicated below. The pipes are directly under the sink and there's no room on the left or right of the sink. Maybe 4" behind the sink. Thanks for you responses.
FH03OCT_ISLANSI_01.JPG

Danimal

Reaction score
So the builder just got back to me. Apparently the trap is located in my basement. I have not seen any trap in the basement. Could they have put it between the floor and the finished basement ceiling? Hrrrmmmm.....

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can vent with a AAV between the p-trap and the waste line. The AAV breaks the siphon so that the p-trap retains a water seal.
You can cut down and shorten what is there.
But I would add a p-trap there.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks