Eljer Touch-Flush, missing flush valve seat

Users who are viewing this thread

nymlake

Reaction score
My older Eljer toilet has a poor seal causing water to run pretty constantly into the bowl. A quick inspection shows the flapper ball stop sits directly on top of the porcelean -- there is no flush valve seat. I tried a couple different rubber gaskets and cannot seem to get a tight seal. Think I can get by with simply a rubber gasket with silicone sealant, or should I install a flush valve seat? If the latter, I cannot find valve seats at my local store. Everything I've come across for repair suggestions assumes the seat already exists. Not in my case...

nymlake

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply!

eljer.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would try a little sandpaper around the seat to make sure it's smooth.

That and a new rubber flapper ball.

korky-62.jpg

korky-425.jpg

Korky 425

Last edited:
Reaction score
Do you have any others of these in your home (same model?) It sort of looks like it was designed to be like this, looking at the shape of the flapper and the seat.

Any roughness or buildup on the porcelain or hardening/deformation of the flapper and this would be prone to leak. Is that a new flapper or is it the original? I would go with Terry's suggestion and replace the flapper too if you haven't already.

nymlake

Reaction score
The 2 other toilets have valve seats and the newer flaps. One concern I have is I purchased a newer flapper ball and attempted to forcibly seal it with my fingers. Even with pressure around the flap a small leak persisted. I will try the sanding suggestion with a new flapper. If no luck, I think I will look to seal a gasket within the opening.

Achutch

Reaction score
Eljer "Touch-Flush"

That is the Eljer "Touch-Flush" valve. A replacement ball for it is available in most hardware stores. It screws into the hinged plastic piece. You can still buy the whole assembly if needed. I rebuilt a tank just like the one in your photo, and it's working just fine.

The "Touch-Flush" replaced the ball, lift wires, and the guide that was attached to a china post in the inside front of the tank of the older Eljer models. Both tanks had the china seat and built in overflow tube.

achutch

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks