Miscut Shower Pan Liner - Can I Patch?

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by tev9999, Feb 27, 2012.

1. tev9999

tev9999 New Member

I was installing the Oatey shower pan liner on my bathroom project tonight and ended up miscutting around an outside corner. I cut too deep and the cut went down into the pan corner beyond where a dam corner would cover.

I patched the corner (with a 2" overlap and X15 adhesive) and walked away for the night to let it set (and out of frustration). Is it safe to use this or should I pitch it and get a new liner?

Also, how important is it to smooth out all the folds in the pan liner? Since it shipped folded they are rather stubborn even after laying it flat for a couple days. Should I use adhesive to smooth it out and make it stay in place?
  2. Plumber111

Plumber111 In the Trades

It can be glued with the X-15 adhesive. Make sure that you water test the pan and put the glued part under water.

I would recommend that you replace the whole pan though. Gonna' be under the tile and is the foundation of your waterproofing.

Make sure to pre-slope.

I've never seen a PVC pan installed by myself or anyone else perfectly smooth.
  3. tev9999

tev9999 New Member

Is there a way to plug the drain without investing $40 in an inflatable 2" test plug I will never use again? I have already sealed the liner to the drain bottom with silicone and tightened the top ring down.
  4. Plumber111

Plumber111 In the Trades

5. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Some people use a play balloon, but it's a pain blowing it up while in the drain. Give what's left to the kids when you're done, as you'll have most of a bag.
  6. tev9999

tev9999 New Member

I replaced the liner - much more carefully this time. The patch would have been right at some major folding and I didn't want to risk it to save $30.

I thought about the regular balloon, but didn't think it would be able to handle much water pressure. I don't think I can get a mechanical plug far enough down to clear the threads on the drain.
  7. johnfrwhipple

johnfrwhipple Bathroom Design & Build - North Vancouver, B.C.

A ballon? Really that's your advice Jim.

A proper test plug looks like this

[​IMG]

This test plug with extension hose is worth roughly $45.00

or like this

[​IMG]

The test plug above costs about $6.00
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
  8. jadnashua

Leave it to John to dig up two year old threads to comment on...

But, yes, if you can't or don't want to buy a real test plug, a balloon will work - it's a pain, but it is certainly cheap. Most DIY'ers build one, maybe two showers in their lifetime, and spending money on a tool that may never get used again may not be the best use of funds.
  9. johnfrwhipple

Found this old post researching shower construction. It's amazing how much of your old posts show up everywhere Jim.

You really do post a lot - and lots of them like this info on balloons is simply garbage advice.

I found a fun ballon trick you can try at home Jim. Since you should not use on for a shower flood test you might try this just for fun.

[​IMG]

Jim maybe check out the link on your favourite site. http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=106272 Our buddy Roberto showed some nice examples and all your tile friends. Not one showed a picture of a balloon. I think the person that recommended this in the first place is a John Bridge Moderator. Since then I think the junk advice has been circulated.

God knows how many people you have told.....
  10. johnfrwhipple

Failed Balloon Test....

http://www.terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?46161-Pre-slope-and-water-leak-test

On this discussion Jim you say this;

What do you mean by this? Is that some kind of humour.... Do you really think a ballon can block weepholes....
  11. jadnashua

As you know, the plug extends beneath the weep holes, otherwise, it could not make any seal, however you make it. And, yes, you can do it with a long balloon, but blowing it up at the floor level is a pain, but certainly is cheap. Given that there is maybe 3" of water in the pan, that's about 0.1-pound of pressure, and yes, the balloon can withstand that pressure and make a seal, at least on a smooth surface. An inflatable plug is the easier, but more expensive choice. For a DIY'er that may never use one again, a disposable tool makes some sense.
  12. johnfrwhipple

All I can say to that Jim. Is......

wait for it.

Your a Hack. A balloon - what garbage advice.. I bet you still think wood is a good option for a shower curb as well?
  13. jadnashua

On a wooden subfloor, yes, along with the 10's of millions of showers built with one. On a slab, no.
  14. eurob

eurob In the trades

Hey John . I will not even quote the WTF advice , such a double standard .

A megger -- close to industrial testing -- for heating cables . This one is a real MUST .

A balloon -- close to the worse hack -- for flood testing . This one is really OK .

Did you look what the ''S'' is recommending for flood testing when using their drains ?
  15. johnfrwhipple

I did Roberto. They say to wait at least 24 hours. Longer if it's a little chilly and nothing about a balloons....

Maybe Jim got this advice from Party City here in Vancouver?

[​IMG]
  16. johnfrwhipple

Looked at this shower two days back. Builder wanted some design advice....

I emailed him. "It's a do over...."

Take a look at this mess.

[​IMG]

The shower's pre-slope is set so that water collects a foot from the clamping drain. To improve on this and make sure less water can drain away all weep holes where sealed with liner adhesive. A perfect job screwing up the simplest of systems.

[​IMG]

Time to rip it out and replace it with some NobleSeal CIS. A splash of Ardex 8+9 and then drop one sexy ACO liner drain on top....

[​IMG]

With the NobleSeal CIS I can then bond the membrane down over this radiant heat (covered with concrete topping). As it sits now the curbless shower would leak through capillary action out the entry. Nothing a tile edging, some NobleSeal CIS and NobleSealant 150 can't fix....
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2014