Misaligned bath sink trap pipes

Users who are viewing this thread

harvey-p

Reaction score
Hi, folks, I hope you can help me with this problem. I'm sort of a plumbing novice.

I just installed a new bathroom vanity and sink. Apparently the centerline of the drain on the new sink is not the same as that on the old one. When I try to re-connect the p-trap to the existing j-shaped pipe protruding from the wall, I'm unable to make the connection because the outlet of the p-trap is about an inch away from the inlet of the existing wall pipe, so that one cannot reach the other.

How do you suggest I solve this? Do I have to remove the existing j-pipe and replace it with a longer one, if that's possible? Can I install some sort of flexible trap fitting that can bridge the gap? If the j-pipe coming out from the wall needs to be replaced, do I have to melt the solder to remove it or can it be cut off and the new one be somehow connected?

Thanks a ton for any advice on this.

harvey-p

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
connection

If the old one is soldered in, then you have to cut the brass solder bushing out of the castiron thread and install a galvanized nipple and a female drain fitting or a male drain fitting if the cast iron is close to the finished wall.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
What type of pipe is coming out of the wall? If it is the glued up black ABS, it is easy to cut it off and rebuild to fit. Don't let Sylvan see it.

LonnythePlumber

Plumber, Contractor, Attorney
Reaction score
Easy Jim

I'm spooked to go on that other site too often. Let's don't start here. Sounds like a copper trap if the poster is talking about soldering. I would think a repair trap with a neophrene washer and nut on the outlet would be an acceptable but not best practice. I would think the best practice would be to solder on a trap adaprter. Unless it was a code area that required solid connecting trap parts.

Deb

Plumber
Reaction score
Deb

I find that many times novices just assume that all plumbing things are soldered together. It appears that the p-trap (the correct term for the j-pipe) is separated from the trap arm, so that is not soldered....
How exactly was the p-trap connected to the pipe coming out of the wall originally? If you have a threaded fitting (trap adapter), you can most likely use a PVC tubular p-trap (and extension if necessary).
Deb
The Pipewench

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks