Minimum toilet vent size?

Users who are viewing this thread

LesP

Reaction score
Reading through the comments on this great forum, I see over and over that UPC requires a 2" vent for toilets. But combing through my code reference books, I can't find any specific reference to this requirement. The only thing I find is a table showing that a 1-1/2" vent pipe can support up to 8 DFUs (while 2" can handle 24 DFUs). Also, the vent must be 1/2 the size of the drain served.

In my renovation, I am limited by a 2"x4" wet wall, so that 1/2" makes a big difference when drilling studs. The two toilets will be draining into a 3" line which eventually meets up with the 4" building sewer. So, can I use 1-1/2" vents per code?

Thanks for your guidance -- this venting stuff is making me nuts!

Plumber01

In the Trades
Reaction score
The only thing I find is a table showing that a 1-1/2" vent pipe can support up to 8 DFUs (while 2" can handle 24 DFUs). Also, the vent must be 1/2 the size of the drain served.

On that table there is a footnote on the 8 fixture units under 1.5" pipe. Footnote 3 states : EXCEPT six unit traps or water closets.

2" is required for toilets.

LesP

Reaction score
Thanks for your quick reply, #1 plumber! I don't have the full UPC code, just the Code Check books -- I'm surprised they omit this important point.

So, it looks like my only options are:
1) to wet vent both toilets off a 2" upstream lav drain
2) run 2" dry vents off the trap arm for each WC and stuff them into the same stud bay

I would much prefer the first option since it is so much simpler. UPC 908.2 and 908.4.3 indicate a maximum of 4 DFUs for a 2" wet vent (according to the highly abbreviated Code Check book). Do I count the DFU load on the wet vent as 1 for the lavatory and 3 for the first WC?

Here is my super detailed drawing (the letters correspond to my parts list for when I finally go shopping!) for both bathrooms:
DWV v3.jpg

Feel free to weigh in on anything else that doesn't look code-worthy or Terry Love forum-worthy!

Many thanks,
Les

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks