Minimum stud spacing for Delta/Pex shower controller??

Users who are viewing this thread

JCH

Reaction score
I laid out/installed all my studs for a 36" custom shower (11" and 20" from the side wall), and now we've decided to switch to a 30-1/4" Kohler Villager bathtub instead.

So now my shower controller has to move.... and so do the studs (unless I just box out the controller area) :(

What's the minimum stud spacing you like to see when installing a Delta shower controller with Pex?? The Delta site doesn't seem to offer any advice on this.

Thanks!

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
There is no one right way to do it. The valve body needs to be secured in the wall so that it cannot move under force.
If you are installing a shower valve/head, DO NOT use pex between the shower valve and head or from the valve to a tub spout.
Using PEX between the valve and a tub spout will force water out of the shower head.
For the tub spout piping, you will want either full size 1/2" nipples or full size 1/2" copper pipe.

PEX and it's fittings are too small for the tub spout piping.

Last edited by a moderator:

JCH

Reaction score
Thanks. I knew about using copper to the shower head and spout, but it's a good reminder.

My question is how much side-to-side room do I need to leave for the PEX supply connections to the valve. It's got to curve around a corner to get there, just not sure how much room I should leave... (I suppose I could run the PEX supplies through a hole in the studs if I didn't have enough room to make the bend).

Anyone got a standard rule of thumb? Valve body is Delta R10000-UNWS

Thanks!

JCH

Reaction score
Just to clarify, I've never used PEX myself so don't know how small a radius I can bend it on.

I'm doing the framing. A plumber will be doing the plumbing.

Just want to make sure I leave him enough room to get the PEX supplies into the valve.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I would drill holes through the studs and make long sweeping bends in the adjacent stud cavities. They do do make preformed bend supports or you could put hard 90 elbows into the body.
normal_PEX_90_Degree_Bend_Support.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks