Minimum Slope for Heater Vent

Users who are viewing this thread

weaver

Reaction score
I'd like to develop some additional height for water heater replacement. What is the minimum slope for the horizontal run of a vent? Have 23" from ell out of heater to tee with 6" vent from furnace right by the entry into lined brick chimney. Could we go as far as 1/4" in each 12"?

I'd like to get some idea of brand and model options before plumber comes on site.

Many Thanks.

Bob

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Well I don't know about Ohio but to my knowledge as a gas fitter in BC there is no "minimum" but you need to have some slope. 1/4" is plenty.

The only real thing you need to worry about is the length of the horizontal run. The lateral length of the vent connector will directly effect what size the vent shall be.

If you are just running a HWT (Lets call it 40,000 BTU) you can have a lateral of 10 feet or so with an overall vent height of 15 feet.

I hope this helps.

weaver

Reaction score
It does help. I would be getting a 40,000BTU. Several of the new HWTs are bigger than similar models from years ago... Thanks for reply.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks