Minimum room width for a sink

Users who are viewing this thread

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
What is the code (not sure which one applies where my mother lives) about clearance between a sink and the opposite wall? The room is only about 36" wide and a corner sink won't work because of the locations of the other fixtures. I'm trying to figure out the maximum depth of a bathroom sink I can use.

discfor1

Reaction score
In Idaho it is 21" between a sink and another fixture, like a toilet (imagine a narrow 1/2 bath). I dont know if this goes to distance to a wall as well. I will look into it.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
sink

If it is a cabinet sink, you will have to figure on a minimum of 21", unless you use a narrow sink, such as the old American Standard Spacelynn which was 12" deep and would fit into a 16" top. A normal wall hung sink will be 17" or 18". The sink you use will determine how much space you have left.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I'm trying to find out what the minimum passage way between the sink and the wall is. For a kitchen sink, the code says 30" clearance; couldn't find one for a bathroom sink. I was planning on a wall-hung sink to minimize the projection.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
sink

Unless you opt for a tiny pullman sized sink, your smallest usable option will be a 17" wall hung sink, so that will leave 19" for access. If you can live with that, and the sink has to go there, what other choice do you have even if the minimum dimension, if there is one, is more than that.

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I've done lots of remodeling... More than once I've put a sink in a hall or bedroom to allow the lady of the house to put on her makeup while others get the use of the bathroom.... and lots more room in the bath!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks