Minimum distance from trap to sani-tee

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by techinstructor, Mar 26, 2011.

1. techinstructor

techinstructor New Member

I've read about maximum distances allowed from the trap to the sani-tee (and vent) but I was wondering if there is a minimum horizontal distance that should be maintained. In other words can the j bend be trimmed to a shorter length if desired? We'd be using 1 1/2" pipe at this location. I also have a 2" trap for the washer that will connect to a sani-tee that will not be in the wall. Is there a minimum length for the pipe coming from the trap to the sani-tee and vent?

Thanks
  2. dlarrivee

dlarrivee New Member

Generally, double the diameter of the given pipe.
  3. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer In the Trades

Twice the diameter of the pipe, elswize you have an S trap
  4. Yersmay

Yersmay Writing, constructionDIY Member

I posted an identical question sometime ago and got some very interesting answers. I tried lifting the title of that thread and placing it in this post but I'm not sure it worked. At any rate, the thread can now be found in the Code Question forum, UPC. The title of the thread is:

trap arm question, UPC.

If I didn't successfully insert a link to my past thread, maybe someone can do that for me.
  5. Gsalet

Gsalet George the Plumber

If you can make the connection without cutting into the radius of the trap arm it should be OK, No Minimum sited in the code
  6. techinstructor

7. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Since the code says 2 pipe diameters developed length from the weir of the trap to the inner edge of the vent, I think in practical terms, it would be hard NOT to meet that spec.
  8. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

That would be a crown vent not an s-trap.
  9. Winslow

Winslow Plumber

Or a crown vented trap if the drain was on the horizontal. Either way it's illegal, at least under the UPC.
  10. techinstructor

Ok, it is illegal in NC too. After posting this I found this in the NC Code:
    Thanks for the responses.