minimizing damage

Users who are viewing this thread

remudagirl

Reaction score
I know this is extremely disgusting & I'm so sorry to post it; I'm just worried and don't know what to do.

I have a protracted eating disorder history (anorexia nervosa purging subtype) which-- well, includes frequent & excessive vomiting. Some is put down the kitchen garbage disposal; the rest in the toilet: huge quantities all together. I've lived in this particular house for the last year or two and it's about thirteen years old.

Lately I've been struggling more, and I've noticed the sump pump running a lot-- does this have anything to do with the purging? Is there anything I can do to minimize damage? Incidentally, it has rained some several days lately, after a long winter with a lot of snow.

Similarly, is there anything I can do to minimize damage with the toilet pipes and such? I'm sure this has put a lot of strain on them.

I am really working to get better & obviously I know that would be the best solution to all of this. I just was hoping there might be something proactive I could do so that I don't end up ruining all the pipes & everything here.

thank you--
elizabeth

Cookie

Reaction score
I'm no plumber but the garbage disposal is for food, the toilet is for food we ate so I guess it makes no difference which end it is coming from. I doubt it would do anything to your sump pump, too. Just my assumption it is from the weather. A plumber can correct me if I am wrong.

Good luck, I hope you find the strength in overcoming your purging. As I am sure you are fully aware of, this is going to ruin your own pipes or worse.

...great strength comes from faith in God
Zechariah 12:5

Cookie

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The sump and the sewer system are or should not be connected to each other and even if they were it would have no effect on the sump pump running. It's running because you are having a wet winter/spring.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Elizabeth -
You are very courageous for dealing with this problem head-on.

The only thing I'd recommend to protect your house's plumbing system is just to make sure you flush the pipes for 10 or 20 seconds after putting anything acidic in the disposer, to make sure the acidic mass isn't sitting in the disposer or the pipes between the disposer and the main "stack." You could also grind up some ice cubes in the disposer once a week just to clean it out, if you want.

Likewise, don't leave anything corrosive sitting in the toilet for long periods, but just flush it at the time, which will prevent trouble. (Terry has pictures on this site of copper pipes right after the toilet being corroded by folks who leave urine in the toilet over night.)

Best of luck as you work through your condition - as you know, these are treatable conditions and it sounds like you have a good attitude!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks