Mini split install questions

Discussion in 'HVAC Heating & Cooling' started by mar3232, Jul 23, 2012.

1. mar3232

mar3232 Member

I'm not an HVAC pro but I would say I'm a semi-pro in just about everything else -- electrical, construction etc. and decided to do a small mini split in my bedroom (9000 btu).

It will be a breeze to do the mechanical stuff and electrical -- the lineset will probably be less than 10 feet, where I plan on putting it. (probably be more like 6 feet or so).

I've seen a few installs on youtube and it looks pretty straightforward but my question is this --

If I'm careful and absolutely nothing is leaking, aren't these designed where a DIY'er can actually just connect the lineset and you can pretty much start using them without any additional refrigerant charging?

I know a lot of you will say get a pro to check it out, but realistically? Guarantee the installation will be A1.

I guess the hardest part are the bends in the lineset? -- do you guys use some sort of jig or tool for this?

thanks.
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

With all due respect: BACK THE TRUCK UP. Most of these systems require that the system be evacuated to remove air and non-condensibles, BEFORE opening the king valve to let the charge out of the condensing unit into the system. The factory charge is APPROXIMATE for x many feet of line, but you must set the super-heat or sub-cool using gauges. This is NOT plug and play or DIY.
  3. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer In the Trades

And, the charge on mini-splits is critical and weighed in. Gauges are useless too.
  4. mar3232

mar3232 Member

Ok. Maybe if I do all of the mechanicals and Mr HVAC approves the install, I can save a few bucks (always on top of my mind). Even a run of 6 feet makes no difference eh?
  5. mar3232

mar3232 Member

By the way if anyone is close to Indiana, have a nice Trane heat pump system available -- only 3 years use -- make me an offer.