Mini split in a closet ??

Users who are viewing this thread

Chuck Hoffman

Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
May sound strange at first, but I am wondering about the feasability of hanging a 9000 BTU mini split air handler on the back wall of a walk in closet, 6 feet deep. It would point directly at a 36" door and blow into the bedroom. The reasons are twofold, first, i don't like the look of the thing and second, it's the only exterior wall that would work because of bay windows. Seems to me like it would work, but thought I'd look for a second opinion. Thanks.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
It should work if the grow lights do not make to much heat. :p

You could have a mold issue if you do not have enough air movement, Because of condensation and temperature difference.

Good Luck on your project. Please do share. lol

Last edited:

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
It would sorta work with the door open, but that's not to say it's a great idea. A better approach would be to mount a mini-duct cassette type mini-split head just under the ceiling of the closet with 6' of duct at ceiling height to a transom grille over the door, and let the doorway be the return path (or a make one of the partition walls into a jump duct.) With just the open door as both the supply & return path for a wall-coil type head you'd have to super-cool the closet to get much cooling in the main room.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Redneck fix.......hang a 20" box fan in the door way pointing out....yea, that would look good. The unit doesn't have to hang on an outside wall. You can box the lines in the ceiling corner.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Redneck fix.......hang a 20" box fan in the door way pointing out....yea, that would look good. The unit doesn't have to hang on an outside wall. You can box the lines in the ceiling corner.

lol.

That is what I was thinking.

If you were thinking that, You may be a Redneck.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks