mini moat around shower drain

Users who are viewing this thread

asuwish

Reaction score
Is this drain installed correctly? Should there really be a pool of water that doesn't go down the drain after each shower? And isn't gunk going to get caught there rather than being washed away? How do I break it to the plumber :eek: sure hope the whole darn shower stall doesn't have to be pulled out!

Attachments

• DSCF4885.JPG
    DSCF4885.JPG
    12.6 KB · Views: 440
  • DSCF4887.JPG
    DSCF4887.JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 438

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Could be okay...hard to say. How much water? If he didn't leave the installation instructions, go on-line and read them...see if yours looks like the instructions.

If you put a straight-edge across the drain, are there any hollows or does it slope to the drain from all directions? He might have put mortar (which is good) under it, but mixed it too stiff and it bowed the floor up. Or, the drain line could be too long, and when tightening down the drain to the receptor, it lifted it.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Looks perfectly correct. Yes, the plastic grate and the way it appears to sit in the recess does seem imperfect...and is, compared to a tiled in drain. The shower looks fancy enough to be a UPC approved unit, in which all basic sanitary features are within specs. So is it UPC? Too late anyway.
Typically, that plastic drain is shipped with the shower unit, and the drain flange and grate is slightly thicker than metal.
I personally throw the plastic drains away and use solid brass, which have a chrome grate. In fact you may be able to get a metal grate to substitute; but, the bottom line is that that is what we get in molded receptors

asuwish

Reaction score
Thank you for your responses. breplum, you are wise in replacing parts with ones that work better. Wish my plumber had such foresight. It is a fancy stall; not sure what UPC is but it meets the code in our area. If that's the way it is; that's the way it is. I will ask about the caulking/silicone to fill in the moat. I will also email Maax and ask them about the design. Is it possible to make a better design for molded receptors? Should I assume if there was a better design they would build it...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks