min spacing hot cold copper lines...

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by chris fox, Jan 9, 2008.

1. chris fox

chris fox New Member

I had to move 1/2" hot/cold copper lines for one of the sinks in my master bath. I noticed for both sinks that there wasnt a consistant spacing between the individual hot/cold lines as they exited the wall. I already moved the lines but now starting to think if they need more seperation. There is about 3" distance (ctr to ctr), is this enough??

Does code require a min distance between the two(hot/cold)? I thought to ask on here before searching local plumbing codes.

Thanks
    Chris
  2. cwhyu2

cwhyu2 Consultant

4"is standard unless you have a wide spread faucet for a lav or 6" K/S faucet.
  3. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

If you are talking copper stub outs for the shutoff valves, then no, there is no minimum.
    As long as you can install shutoffs, it works.

Inspectors don't like to see the copper pipes touching, they conduct heat and cold.
    PEX on the other hand, can be bundled. They don't conduct heat or cold.
  4. chris fox

chris fox New Member

Thanks guys,
    I like to cover my steps. I measured again its more towards 3.25", I will leave it.

Another related question, what are prefered shut off valves for sinks. The house was installed with these push/pull types that look to fit by push on. I recently i have seen 1/4 turn valves.
    I havent had a leak anywhere in the house but could assume the push/pull offers no ability to change out without cutting copper?
    Which is the prefered shut off valve?

thanks
    Chris