Min height within roof jack

Users who are viewing this thread

DavidTu

Reaction score
For lead VTR roof jack, is there a minimum height WITHIN the jack (ie. distance from the top of the jack) that the ABS pipe within must extend to? (I am not asking about the height off the roof... my question is based around fact that my ABS as installed right now goes to about 2" below the height of the jack and I wonder if I need extend it higher.)

Also, is there any attachment made between the ABS pipe and the roof jack?

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
If you are talking about a lead pipe flashing you shouuld be a couple of inches down with your pipe and peen the lead into the top to make a seal.

DavidTu

Reaction score
If you are talking about a lead pipe flashing you shouuld be a couple of inches down with your pipe and peen the lead into the top to make a seal.

I'm not sure if that is what I am talking about. We have a lead roof jack installed with a cap that sits loose on the top of the lead pipe (your mention of "flashing" in this context confuses me). Within that I am inserting the ABS vent pipe. Are you suggesting not using a cap and to then peen down the top edge of the lead pipe so it cups over the ABS? Or if I choose to use a cap does it go over the peened pipe or is it an alternative installation to having to peen the pipe?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
"Roof jack" is not a term normally used for a plumbing vent stack. If you are installing a lead roof flashing, the top of the lead must be folded over into the pipe to prevent rainwater from coming in between the pipe and the lead. A cap is optional, and serves no real purpose. Rainwater coming in through the stack flows into the drain and does no harm.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
What do you mean by "cap"? If it is a ring that fits over the lead flashing and into the vent pipe, then that would be sufficient, IF it enters the pipe and is secured so it could not blow away. If it is a "cover" that goes over the opening, then that is NOT the proper termination and the lead should be rolled over and down into the vent pipe. The pipe would usually be 1"-2" below the top of the lead to give sufficient material to make the seal.

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
I'm not sure if that is what I am talking about. We have a lead roof jack installed with a cap that sits loose on the top of the lead pipe (your mention of "flashing" in this context confuses me). Within that I am inserting the ABS vent pipe. Are you suggesting not using a cap and to then peen down the top edge of the lead pipe so it cups over the ABS? Or if I choose to use a cap does it go over the peened pipe or is it an alternative installation to having to peen the pipe?[/QUOTE

The term roof jack even tho it's correct is not a term thats used in the area I'm used to, and you having a cap confuses the issue. I included a link and thats a flashing where I come from, what you do with it is run the pipe lower then the top of the lead and peen the excess into the edge of the pipe (you don't seal the pipe up), since I don't know what kind of cap you have I can't commet,

LeadRoofJack.gif

DavidTu

Reaction score
OK got it... sounds like I lucked out a bit and have ended up with about 1-2" below the top of the lead so we will be able to fold it down. The cap I refer to is just a cosmetic item I suppose to make the folded over area appear neater. Thanks for the info.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks