Milky water/air bubbles in sumerged well pump

Users who are viewing this thread

Tim Kaylor

Reaction score
I just installed a new sumerged well pump, 135' deep shorted line 10 feet as had water at 60' and old line was muddy looking at bottom few feet, would get some mud from old pump at times, or residue not pure brown water.
installed new pump went from 3/4hp to 1 hp. hooked up and worked but here is where it get strange. the metal pipe with shut valve and pipe to bladder tank would shock me if I touched it. Thought I had skinned wire putting it back in. pulled again. put new wire and water pipe. reconnected.. still would shock me. called a electrian freind. the pressure switch was not grounded. he connected a wire to ground and grounded to metal pipe and no more shock. Thought all is well,,LOL
water works good no problem, good pressure much better then before old pump died. but water in glass is milky. it is millions of tiny bubbles and will clear in few seconds, 10 or 15. taste fine.
Checked out side water outlet for hose. it is fine and no bubbles. this water comes from pvc pipe after bladder tank and off supply line that goes in whole house. but in sink it is milky, wife cant stand it and demands I fix it. took strainer out of fauct thought it could be that. but no difference. still milky.
in bathroom sink same. odd the bath tub is not as bad. toilet is clear but think bubble leave out of holding tank. so not fair check
the system has a pressure bladder tank, then to a water filter, 2 upright round cylinder tanks with a timer for a back wash (was in house when bought house but did not work and would manual move timer to make it back flush. ) when has shocking problem and grounded pressure swtich timer started working and was back flushing 1 time a day. I disconnected it. thought that was the problem. did not help.
water then goes to hot water heater and cold out to house.
what is causing this.???? not a suction leak as it is a submerged pump. why would start after new pump? no leaks in pumping that I see. driving me crazy i could live with it, but wife said fix it or else LOL

Reach4

Reaction score
but think bubble leave out of holding tank.
What is the holding tank?

then to a water filter, 2 upright round cylinder tanks with a timer for a back wash (was in house when bought house but did not work and would manual move timer to make it back flush. )
How about a photo or two of that stuff.

Those things may have bypass valves. Maybe put them into bypass and see what effect that has.

Tim Kaylor

Reaction score
I will post pic of water filter tanks and see it does have some kind of bypass valve on it. i will try to by pass it. i did not touch it during well pump changes but maybe new higher hp pump and higher water pressure did something with it. so i will try to by pass it. and post results

Tim Kaylor

Reaction score
Here is the pics of the 2 tank water filter and hot water heater and bladder tank

Attachments

• IMG_1262.JPG
    IMG_1262.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 280

Tim Kaylor

Reaction score
checked all the pumping, did find a leak it was spraying a fine mist on one of the lines going up to one of the showers. crawled under there and fixed it. checked and no leaks. checked all faucets and still getting milky water. will try by pass valve on water filter. it was in house when i bought it and i know nothing about it. dont know model or brand or what it is filtering. I do not have hard water and tasted good. if would be sediment mudd before and i back flush it. just turn the timer by hand. it did not work before i grounded pressure switch it it would run muddy water out and after while would clear up. once it was working with ground it back flushed 1 time a day which i thought was too much and disconnected it. i dont think that has anything to do with mily water. hope some one can help

Reach4

Reaction score
I am not sure the smaller diameter tank is doing. I suspect that thing on top is what adds the air, and maybe that tank is to allow air to contact the water for a while. It does not appear to have a bypass. The air contact may be doing some good. I suspect that removing that top-most gadget and screwing in a plug where it would stop the air causing the milky appearance. I am not a pro, and I have not seen such a thing. I don't know what maintenance it should have.

The larger tall blue tank may be a softener. It seems to be out of action, in that there is no brine tank, nor line to a brine tank, nor drain line shown in the picture. It seems to have a bypass on it, and it may be in the bypass setting.

I would get a lab water test of the raw water.

Tim Kaylor

Reaction score
i by passed filter system. did not help bubbles..but know what filter system is for now. it is for iron in the water. with the filter by passed the water taste like strong iron water. the one tank with thing on top i can turn the black thing and it lets air OUT like it has pressure in it. turn it back and it stops, but none of this stops bubbles in water.. all of these things was not touched when i changed sumerged pump. i do not know who makes the filters there is no brand on it i can find, to call and see what it all is.. now i know it was not mud but iron sediment i see when i back flush it.. the system is to take iron out of the water.. still stumped about all the air bubbles. and milky water.. do not see how changing the pump would cause all this.

Reach4

Reaction score
the one tank with thing on top i can turn the black thing and it lets air OUT like it has pressure in it.
OK. I would look for a micronizer in line with the water from the pump. Is there an unidentified device in that path?

.. still stumped about all the air bubbles. and milky water.. do not see how changing the pump would cause all this.
I am speculating that the higher water speed of your new pump sending water to the pressure tank caused the venturi to inject more air.

Maybe your wife will see that air has a useful purpose. She can fill a pitcher, and pour her drinking glasses of water from the pitcher.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks