Mildew, Shower Wall Panels

Users who are viewing this thread

tonykdds

Reaction score
I recently removed silicone/caulk due to stubborn mildew around my shower floor. I fear the moisture may have extended deep under shower wall panels. The outer lining of the shower drain is also constantly moist even after 2 days of non-use.

Should I expect to remove my shower panels and deal with the moisture problem. I'm treating mildew and allowing the area to dry out. I'm not sure how long to wait (it's been 2 days since I've used the shower). There was a lot of moisture and mildew when I scraped off the silicone today.

If the damage is extensive, can the shower panels be removed to fix the problem, or should I expect a contractor to replace my shower. I'm just curious what I'm in for. I appreciate any help. Thanks for your time!

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Any caulk is subject to mildew due to the nature of the material. Some will resist mildew longer than others. If your only problem is mildew on the caulking, there is no reason to suspect that moisture or mildew has somehow "penetrated" the wall. You have done the correct thing which is to scrape out the old caulk. You probalby should spray something like MoldWash on just to make sure it is killed. Bleach would also work. Now, the most important step is for everything to be thoroughly dry before recaulkin. Place a small fan inside the shower for a day if necessary.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks