Mike's Bathroom Remodel

Users who are viewing this thread

TRedVR6

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I found this forum after searching for information for my bathroom remodel project. I've been lurking for a month or so and finally have a question to post.

My project includes installing a new bathtub with a different orientation than the existing tub. I will have to rough the drain to the new location which is approximately 5.5' from the current drain location. I also need to move an existing 1.5" vent line that is currently located in a wall that I want to remove.

I've attached the existing and new floor plans along with a photo of the area.

My questions are:

1. Is it OK to locate a vent line in the exterior wall? It appears that they offset it away from the exterior wall because it was easier to pipe once they got into the attic.

2. Can I keep the 1.5" attachment to the 2" drain line where it is and pipe to the new drain location as shown in the new floor plan (1st attachment). It appears that there is a T-Wye rolled to a 1.5" 22 degree elbow. How much pitch is required? Should the trap be located at the new drain location?

Thanks for any help you can provide,

Mike

Attachments

• bathroom_new.jpg
    bathroom_new.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 327
  • DSC_8988.jpg
    DSC_8988.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 310
  • bathroom_exist.jpg
    bathroom_exist.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 339

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

Technically, the existing tub drain is not vented, and the new arrangement is even worse, given that it will be much too far from the vent pipe.

TRedVR6

Reaction score
It doesn't surprise me that the current configuration is incorrect.

Any suggestions for accomplishing the drain relocation? I believe I can drill a hole through the 2x8 floor joist up to 1/3 the depth (2.5") in diameter as long as it's at least 2" from the edge of the joist. Should I cut a new T-Wye into the 2" line closer to my new drain location? How can I correct the vent situation?

I definitely do not want any issues with the tub draining. Perhaps this is something that I should hire a professional to do, however, I'd still like to know the proper way to relocate the drain so that I can make sure whoever I hire does it correctly.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
With 2x8 floor joists, I normally run the plumbing below and box the ceiling.
You pretty much need to center the hole in a 2x8 floor joist.
Not much room.

The vent needs to be withing 42" if you are running a 1-1/2" trap arm and trap.

The vent could revent to the existing vent for the other tub at 42" above the floor.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks