Methane in well water

Users who are viewing this thread

cowboyup

Reaction score
I have a well that has methane in the water. I have talked to a few well companies and they say i need to install a wellmate tank with an micronizer and a air valve control unit. So, i have purchased a micronizer, AVC and a wellmate HP-8SQ tank. Now to install i am sure wont be too bad but....do i need a vacum breaker as well on the top of tank conected to the AVC unit as there is a 1/4 threaded hole which i assume is for the release of the methane gases outside of the house. Is there something i am missing and really not sure what the AVC does. Any help would be great. Thanks

Last edited:

Speedbump

Reaction score
I'm not sure what they are talking about. A Well Mate is a fiberglas bladder tank that is not much of a tank and will have nothing whatsoever to do with your methane removal. You should probably have some sort of aerator to gas off the methane to atmosphere.

bob...

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The micronizer is aerator. I believe the Well Mate tank he is talking about is a non-bladder type tank. The AVC will let out the excess air and the methane. I believe you only need to plug the 1/4" hole.

Speedbump

Reaction score
I never knew Well Mate to have a galvanized tank. But who knows anymore?

I would be a little leary of a simple Air Release Valve to keep up with Methane if he has a lot of it. They also plug up real easy.

A normal aerator would be the answer in my opinion.

bob...

cowboyup

Reaction score
Yes this is a bladderless tank and was not sure if 1/4 hole needed to be pluged or have a line attached to it to vent methan gases outside. It does come with a plug but have not studied top of AVC to see if there is a port on it to attach a vent line outside since this tank is in a crawlspace. Thank you

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Thanks for the picture. That 1/4" fitting IS where the AVC vents. So you need to vent it outside because it is methane.

Speed, it is still a regular hydro pneumatic tank, just fiberglass not galv.

cowboyup

Reaction score
Thank you for all your help. Looks like this may be the ticket. Installing it this weekend----will let you know how it works. Thanks again!!!

Speedbump

Reaction score
Never heard of it until now. I sure wish they would try to explain just how this majic air control works.

bob...

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
The AVC is usually used to allow excess air out of the tank but it is usually a 3/8" MPT float controlled Honeywell valve.

To remove methane with air you need to break up the column of water as it falls through the air in the tank.

I wouldn't use an air injector and that type tank for methane removal.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks