meter Breaker Panel Configuration

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by rdtompki, Dec 16, 2007.

1. rdtompki

rdtompki New Member

I'm replacing an old combination meter and breaker panel that feeds my barn and hayshed. I really don't want to replace (or have an electrician replace) the entrance cable, but the Homeline unit I've bought is very long and the cable would have to be long enough run through the panel, down below the meter socket and curve 180 degrees to attach to the meter socket. This would require mounting the panel very high to avoid replacing the cable.

Does anyone make an "old style" combination that has the meter above the breaker panel which includes a main breaker? Alternatively, I can use a separate outdoor meter box and mount an outdoor main breaker panel below provided it's acceptable in my jurisdiction.

This would be a very straighforward job if I could find a panel in the original configuration.

I'm open to suggestions.

Rick
  2. Speedy Petey

Speedy Petey Licensed Electrical Contractor

I'd have to say yes to both questions.

Most all meter and panel manufacturers make combination units. I'd look around for another configuration.
    Try a real supply house. There should be one close to you.
  3. rdtompki

rdtompki New Member

Thanks for the quick response!

I was at an electrical supply house, but really only looked at Homeline and QO since those are the Square D panels in my house. The counter guy couldn't find an integrated meter/panel that was old style, only the side-by-side version. The configuration looked ok, but once I opened it up it didn't look so promising.

The easiest approach seems to be a separate meter and main panel. That way I can mount the meter at the right height and mount the panel so I don't have to pull any new wires.

Rick
  4. rdtompki

rdtompki New Member

Turns out my problem is overtaken by events. Spoke with the very helpful folks at PG&E and I need to change out the service conduit and service head anyway. The meter breaker panel I bought will work just fine since I'll be running new wire on the service side.

Rick