meter Breaker Panel Configuration

Users who are viewing this thread

Rdtompki

Reaction score
I'm replacing an old combination meter and breaker panel that feeds my barn and hayshed. I really don't want to replace (or have an electrician replace) the entrance cable, but the Homeline unit I've bought is very long and the cable would have to be long enough run through the panel, down below the meter socket and curve 180 degrees to attach to the meter socket. This would require mounting the panel very high to avoid replacing the cable.

Does anyone make an "old style" combination that has the meter above the breaker panel which includes a main breaker? Alternatively, I can use a separate outdoor meter box and mount an outdoor main breaker panel below provided it's acceptable in my jurisdiction.

This would be a very straighforward job if I could find a panel in the original configuration.

I'm open to suggestions.

Rick

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
Does anyone make an "old style" combination that has the meter above the breaker panel which includes a main breaker? Alternatively, I can use a separate outdoor meter box and mount an outdoor main breaker panel below provided it's acceptable in my jurisdiction.
I'd have to say yes to both questions.

Most all meter and panel manufacturers make combination units. I'd look around for another configuration.
Try a real supply house. There should be one close to you.

Rdtompki

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response!

I was at an electrical supply house, but really only looked at Homeline and QO since those are the Square D panels in my house. The counter guy couldn't find an integrated meter/panel that was old style, only the side-by-side version. The configuration looked ok, but once I opened it up it didn't look so promising.

The easiest approach seems to be a separate meter and main panel. That way I can mount the meter at the right height and mount the panel so I don't have to pull any new wires.

Rick

Rdtompki

Reaction score
Turns out my problem is overtaken by events. Spoke with the very helpful folks at PG&E and I need to change out the service conduit and service head anyway. The meter breaker panel I bought will work just fine since I'll be running new wire on the service side.

Rick

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks