Metal Remodel box?

Users who are viewing this thread

he8833

Reaction score
I need help from the pro's. I have a porch off the back of my house. The ceiling consists of TG 3/4 pine boards. Their are NO joints in this section of the ceiling namely because the run is so small. In essence I have a floating ceiling with no studs or joists to attach a normal circle box. I need a remodel box. However its my understanding because the wire that feeds the light is old 2 wire with no ground and is housed in flexible metal conduit. I need to use a metal box.

I see pictures of remodel PLASTIC boxes but have yet to see a metal remodel box that has the wings clips that grab on the backside of the sheetrock or in my case wood. Do they exist?

Last edited:

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
Yes they do, I have used them from time to time.Where to get them, try an electric supply house.

he8833

Reaction score
Pancake box

Can a pancake box be attached directly to a ceiling TG (wood)when hanging a pendent light and have it be OK from a code perspective. The ground wire screw would be screwed through the pancake box.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks