Mendota cast iron(alcove) tub install on slab floor

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by Sammy M, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Sammy M

Sammy M New Member

I noticed on past discussions the need to install a ledger board for the tub when the floor was plywood. Is this still recommended for a slab floor installation?
    Thanks a lot for the advice.
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Normally the feet on a cast iron tub are a bit too high to touch the ground.
    Kohler like shims.
    I don't know how that is done with three closed in sides in a remodel. Perhaps in new construction you can do that.
    Regardless, the instructions call for metal shims. Where do you get those in different thicknesses?
    I've been installing with a ledger board. These tubs weigh over 300 pounds, and once they drop down, they pretty much stay down.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Kohler tubs typically have feet that rest on the ground, but a ledger board is just added security. It makes sure the tub moves with expansion and contraction of the wall structure.
  4. Sammy M

Sammy M New Member

Thanks for the advice...the odd thing about the apron side, is that the cast iron is molded in such a fashion that you cannot run a full size 2x4 ledger board across the whole length against the wall. The tub strength is obviously engineered with a triangular support in the shaping to support which is right in the way of any ledger capability at the ends. I suppose I can still put a ledger in for the tub minus a foot at either end. Have you noticed this on the new Mendota...60x 32?.....thanks again for your thoughts.