Medicine Cabinet with 15 amp receptacle

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by dcd, Oct 6, 2008.

1. dcd

dcd New Member

I bought a Broan 455FL medicine cabinet for a bathroom. It has a single 15 amp receptacle and 2 fluorescent lights. This would be the only receptacle in the bathroom. Its a grounded outlet but not a gfci so my thought is to put a gfci breaker in at the panel. I know bathrooms need to be on a 20 amp w/12-2. So if I have 1 15 amp receptacle and 12-2 going to the bathroom, what can be done to get the medicine cabinet wired safely?
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

medicine cabinet

As far as I know, medicine cabinet receptacles have been outlawed for decades, but since you have one and appear to want to use it, it must be on a GFCI circuit because by definition it will be over the sink.
  3. dcd

dcd New Member

The cabinet is brand new, I'm not sure why Nutone would be selling it if it was outlawed.
    Thanks for the tip.
    Would I need to wire an additional receptacle upstream from the cabinet?
  4. Chris75

Chris75 Electrician

Its not outlawed, but here is the problem, is it really a duplex receptacle or just a single receptacle?

Never mind, you made that clear, the only problem I see is that your still going to need the required 20 amp "WALL" receptacle within 3' of the sink to meet code.
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2008
  5. hj

outlets

You would be surprised how many "illegal" things are sold by stores like HD and Lowes. Medicine cabinet outlets used to be an automatic thing back in the 50's and 60's, but I have not even seen one in decades, so I assumed no one was producing them any more.
  6. Chris75

Chris75 Electrician

Over the sink has nothing to do with the GFCI requirement. just FYI. :)
  7. Chris75

Chris75 Electrician

Why would you say its outlawed though?
  8. hj

over the sink

Not a GFCI problem but having the cord coming down above the sink could induce the person to use it there and thus have a greater chance of accidently dropping into any water in the sink. They were never "duplex" outlets, but the older ones also did not have room for a grounding outlet. Now the cabinets with the lights and outlet on the side might be somewhat safer, but I would still go with the wall outlet.