Medicine cabinet width for 30" vanity....

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by chrisexv6, Nov 12, 2008.

1. chrisexv6

chrisexv6 New Member

What width would you look for to put a medicine cabinet over a 30" vanity?

Wife wants a med cab. with only one door. Apparently, its tough to find that in a wider cabinet (20-24" wide).

Im not sure a narrow cabinet (standard size being about 15 or 16" wide) would look good with a 30" wide vanity below it.

Ive found a Nutone model that comes oversized but its well out of budget.

Any advice?

Thanks.

-Chris
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Two things I look for in a mirrored cabinet over the sink: centered over the sink and recessed. Recessing can be a problem as that is likely where the vent pipe goes. In my bathroom, I had to build the wall out to be able to recess the cabinet. I don't think you'd like a large single panel door if the cabinet gets very wide - you'd have to back away as you opened it with the typical vanity depth and if it was left open, you might bump your head into it, especially shorter people and children. Considering it contains glass, that's not a great idea.
  3. chrisexv6

chrisexv6 New Member

Yeah, I didnt think about the backing away factor. The vanity itself is 22" deep, so 20" would probably be the max width I would be looking for.

The reason Im asking is because I found a good deal on a really nice Nutone cabinet, but its only 15" wide. Sitting there on a wall I figured it would look tiny compared to a 30" vanity.

Definitely will be centered and recessed........they furred out the wall my vanity goes on to 6" deep, so I should easily be able to recess a 4" deep cabinet. Plus it looks like the vent wont be in the way (2nd floor of my house was an addition, and it looks like they changed all sorts of plumbing during it, so its blind luck that a vent was moved out of the way).
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

cabinet

Single door cabinets are almost always designed to fit into a 14 1/2" stud space. Since the mirror has minimal overlap you will seldom find one more than 16" wide.
  5. Southern Man

Southern Man DIY Hillbilly

Because of the stud placement/ center with sink/ vent pipe issues, you'll have to determine if its possible first. An easy way out is to put a wall hung cabinet over the toilet, which will give her more storage space, then buy a simple wall hung mirror for the vanity.
  6. Southern Man

Southern Man DIY Hillbilly

I didn't see this with my earlier comment. Maybe you can get some mirrors to match, on one side of the other or both, to balance it out and get the width that you want.