Mechanical flange estimate

Users who are viewing this thread

Marchvet

Reaction score
Our flange broke completely off the iron pipe under the toilet. The plumber said he would need to grind down the pipe to floor height and then put a mechanical flange over top of it.

Price to do the work: $295

He said the work is easy and there should be no problems. Is this a fair price for the work being done?

Reach4

Reaction score
While he is there, you should get him to put the toilet into place and hook that up.

Reach4

Reaction score
Probably a compression flange as opposed to glued-in.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sounds pretty reasonable to me. Remember, time to and from the job, plus the work, plus the equipment, and most importantly, the know how to do the job. Please don't expect a plumber to work for minimum wage, that's what a republican would expect to pay.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
My only thought is that if he means one of those inside-fit things that you twist to expand and seal against the pipe, a 6-year-old could do that, so you're not really taking advantage of his expertise, assuming that he is a real plumber.

If it's a cast-iron pipe, there are more-permanent ways to attach a flange, and I would ask for that. I would also ask him to use a flange with a stainless-steel ring on it, not one of those all-plastic pieces of garbage, which are less-durable. The prices are not materially different, just what it's made of is. And as Jim mentions, I would ask him to put the toilet back in place as well. Easy for him to do.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score

:DHere is a youtube video. It not the best but at 4:45 you finally see the flange replacement. This was a big job since the floor had rotted out from the leak but it gives you what actually needs to get it done. Your price isn't all that bad unless you know how to do it, if not, it's priceless. By the end of the day you can flush with confidence.:) That is all that counts.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks