Measuring solder

Users who are viewing this thread

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
When I was just learning, a journey man said to me,
"If you play with fire long enough, eventually you are going to get burned".
At the time I didn't know what he meant.................. Until I found out the hard way

So I would have to say , the latter :p
Or: you did burn yourself, but your wife won't let you use it as your excuse?

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Is this you?

Here's a picture of a wife getting her husband ready to do a little plumbing:
asbestos suit.jpg

Rob223

Reaction score
As my soldering gets better and better, I am now at the stage of measuring off my solder to get the best, most pretty joints. I mark pencil lines on the solder to guide me.

For 1/2" pipe I use 1/2" of solder.

For 3/4" pipes I use 3/4" of solder.
Hmm have you really not noticed the big difference in area going from a 1/2 to a 3/4 fitting its alot more than 50%. I have not done the math but if a 1/2 joint really takes 1/2 inch I would think a 3/4 would take closer to 1inch due to much more of an area to fill, 3/4 fittings are much deeper than a 1/2 fitting. Taking pride in your work is one thing but theres a time and place percision, like work that will be in an exposed public area vs. under a floor or in a wall, lifes to short to get that anal about ROUGH work. FINISH work is whats appreciated. BUT to each his own!

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Good guess

I have not done the math but if a 1/2 joint really takes 1/2 inch I would think a 3/4 would take closer to 1inch due to much more of an area to fill, 3/4 fittings are much deeper than a 1/2 fitting.

Assuming the solder flows to the same thickness in both joints, the 3/4" joint should take slightly over 2 times that of the 1/2" joint, based on a random sample of 2 fittings. The joint is not only wider in diameter, accounting for 1.4*, it's also longer (~1.5*).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks