Measuring rough in

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by Bob Rollins, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Bob Rollins

Bob Rollins New Member

I have an old (1975) Eljer (unknown model) with a cracked tank. As mounted, the tank lays flat against the wall. For the new toilet, I'd like to have some clearance just to let the wall stay dry if nothing else. Can I tell what the rough in is before removing the toilet? The bolts are 11 1/4" from the drywall. Is that the rough in, or is that different from the drain distance?
    - Bob
  2. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

The rough-in is measured from the finished wall to the center of the drain, and I believe the bolts are centered on the drain.
  3. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

It seems that the reason your toilet is close to the wall is the drain isn't at the nominal 12". As you can tell, at least some 12" rough-in toilets will fit when you have 11.25" clearance (though some won't, so check carefully). If you wanted more, then you'd need a 10" rough, and it might leave more space than you want (probably about 2").