Measuring 30+ grains with Hach 5B kit

Discussion in 'Water Softener Forum, problems, installation and r' started by lifespeed, Jul 28, 2013.

1. lifespeed

lifespeed Member

Today I measured 31 grains hardness using Hach 5B in my wildly-varying municipal supply. Is the test kit accurate at these higher hardness levels? I heard mention of diluting the test-tube-sized sample (perhaps with RO water?) and doubling the resulting drop count.

Is this necessary for accuracy?
  2. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer In the Trades

3. mialynette2003

mialynette2003 Member

I've never hears of that. I use a 5B on water that hard and have no problems with it.
  4. Mikey

Mikey Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek

Hach says "Total hardness test kit with drop count titration covers a 1-30 gpg range with 1 gpg increments." I suggested the dilution technique a while back mainly to (a) comply with Hach's guideline, and (b) save titrating agent. If you're happy counting out 31 drops, experience suggests that's fine, but I'd be a lot happier diluting 3:1 and counting out 10. I've got a source of DI water, though.
  5. ditttohead

ditttohead Water systems designer, R&D

I have tested the HACH 5B test kit to 80 grains without dilution and found it to be accurate within 2-4%. Not bad considering, but dilution method as mentioned above is preferred.
  6. Mikey

Mikey Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek

Wow -- that's very good. Speaks well for whoever manufactures their dropper.