Measured torque on typical brass NPT fittings?

Users who are viewing this thread

Tim222

Reaction score
Has any of you long-timers ever measured the torque you're applying, using a good, appropriately sized torque wrench? For the typical 1/2" or 3/4" NPT brass pipe fittings, e.g. those found on some shower valves that take cpvc-2-brass adapters, or threaded hammer-arrestors, what is the recommended MEASURED torque range (when using teflon tape to seal)? An average or ballpark range would be good -- as long as it's not just a guesstimate. When I asked the shower valve manufacturer's customer support, the answer I got was "tight enough so it doesn't leak". Duh. :) I have not been able to find this torque-range information anywhere. Perhaps it varies so much because of differences in fitting thread quality from mfr to mfr that the info would be nearly meaningless? Thanks

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Tapered pipe fittings DEFINITELY are not assembled to a torque number. Per the ANSI thread specs, they are assembled to a certain number of hand tight turns, then a certain number of wrench turns. Even ANSI mentions that the field variation in total thread length of a fitting puts a certain level of guesswork, or "feel" into the equation. In addition, different materials....steel, iron, plastic, brass....have different coefficients of friction, then add the different types of joint compounds....well, you get the idea. Add to all that, the fact that with fittings like Tees or Ells, you have to end up with the fitting pointing exactly in a certain direction. SO, you have to know when to stop, or go one more full turn with a bigger wrench!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks