Maxx Vichey corner tub install question

Users who are viewing this thread

Andrew M

Reaction score
I am installing a 5555 vichey. Tub came with OSB on bottom and 4 "legs" attached to that. Legs are build up of OSB with a rubberish pad then a final layer of osb on bottom of leg. When I install , do I leave the final OSB on bottom, or remove and let rubber sit on subfloor?

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
Andrew M said:
I am installing a 5555 vichey. Tub came with OSB on bottom and 4 "legs" attached to that. Legs are build up of OSB with a rubberish pad then a final layer of osb on bottom of leg. When I install , do I leave the final OSB on bottom, or remove and let rubber sit on subfloor?

Since the instructions for my own M--x tub are fairly sketchy, one could only guess at what the manufacturer might have actually had in mind if/when rubber was added to the legs under a tub.

Your tub needs solid support under its entire bottom, and there is more than one way to do that. But, those little legs are likely "just enough" to support the weight of a filled tub under ideal conditions in somebody's engineering department. So, it is ultimately up to the installer to be sure the bottom of the tub is well supported for the duration of its actual use.

Andrew M

Reaction score
The structions dont say much at all. They give the deck dimensions and thats bout it. Last thread mentioned there are several ways to support tub. I am a newbie, could someone say what these are and pros / cons. Also, to go back to my original quest, do I remove the OSB from the bottom of the rubber legs or not?

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
leave them alone, or do what you want.

andrew

since you are asking again, I'll give this an answer. You may like it, or you may not.

There is no manufacturer in the world who is going to sell a product requiring you to remove a piece of a glued-on component. There is no manufacturer in the world who is going to expect people to remove a portion of a multi layered component. If, for any conceivable reason, I am proven wrong, then the manufacturer will have given explicit instructions in writing, and the to-be-removed piece will be visibly different and easily separable. That is my assessment of how companies run things once they get past the initial beginner's stage.

The manufacturer made a sandwich of OSB and rubber. This is just as good as having rubber on the bottom, in terms of its ability to absorb vibration and noise. It may also be good in another way, since it may allow you to slide the tub into position more easily than if the rubbbery piece were on the bottom. This may explain why the layers were built in this order. This is my conjecture and hypothesis.

You can lower the tub by removing a piece of OSB off of the feet too. It's no loss. There is a small risk, which you alone can manage, in terms of getting a smooth surface after unsticking a glued-on layer. No big risk. It may also be better to do this: if there is ever a wet floor under the tub, then the rubbery layer may be thick enough to prevent the OSB above it from sucking up moisture. OSB once wet starts to swell up and self-destruct.

Hope this helps. Don't bite me if you didn't want this kind of answer.

David

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
I have been pondering that rubber in the legs of your tub, and I wonder whether your particular model is a whirlpool type and that rubber has something to do with dampening motor vibration. Mine is just a standard tub.

I am no expert on tub installations, but after once having to repair a weak tub bottom someone else had not supported during installation, I have since heard about the mortar bed methods mentioned here in this forum and they make good sense even though I happen to prefer placing a wooden framework underneath.

Maybe others here can give you some specific suggestions for your situation.

1963rebuild

Reaction score
This is not realy a reply, but more of a question.

I am about to install a Vichy 5555 from scratch. Bare walls, floor leveled. I ordered the tub and would like to prep in advance. If someone would have the instructions that came with the tub, it would be greatly appreciated:)

Thanks in advance
1963rebuild

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks