Maximum time after waterproofing application

Users who are viewing this thread

thedogfish

Reaction score
I recently applied Mapelastic AquaDefense on a tub surround, then I had to go out of town before tiling. It has now been six days, is it still OK to tile, or do I need to recoat ...and tile within 24 hours, or so? Advice appreciated... Thanks!

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
you can always call their tech support, mapei....

clean off dust and key in is my approach to your situation, provided you applied it properly to start with.....

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
vague specs in product literature must be by design...

lets make this guy/ gal wonder if hes made a mistake by passing 24 hrs.. maybe he will tear it out and use more of our product. maybe his shower fails and now he has voided the false warranty by waiting 6 days!

disregard the warranty is all im saying.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I do not think you'll have any problems at all. TO be safe, you could call them, but would have to wait until Monday. The talk about the 24-hours is that you must protect the surface from things like foot traffic or anything that could damage it while it is still fully curing, and you must keep the room temp within specs for that 24-hours as well so it can cure. Once the stuff has changed color, you could tile it, but if flood testing, you have to wait at least 12-hours, and that is dependent on the room temperature staying within the stated min/max along with the humidity levels. Longer is probably better before flood testing just to be sure. One reason why I like sheet membranes...as long as it doesn't freeze while the thinset is curing, you're good to go after the initial cure for your flood testing and tile laying.

Because the stuff remains slightly tacky, it is easy to get it dirty - dust and stuff will settle and stick. Unless it's really bad such that it could create a bond-breaker, it should be okay. Again, this is one reason why companies have tech support lines.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
I've used a lot of Mapei Aquadefence years back (when I still used liquid waterproofing) - some of the jobs I worked on sat for months before getting tiled. One sat almost a half year.

Pretty sure your OK.

The best person to ask is Shawn. He heads up Mapei's technical here in BC for much of the US and Canada. You can reach Shawn here:

SMillman@mapei.com

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks