Max length for discharge line.

Users who are viewing this thread

ChadWright

Reaction score
I have a tank with Katalox Light and a fleck head...is there a maximum length that i have to stay under for the backwash line? I am moving some stuff and house has a crawlspace...was going to go through floor and into crawlspace and run the line to my sump pit...40ft approx....is there any issue with doing this?

Reach4

Reaction score
I have a tank with Katalox Light and a fleck head...is there a maximum length that i have to stay under for the backwash line? I am moving some stuff and house has a crawlspace...was going to go through floor and into crawlspace and run the line to my sump pit...40ft approx....is there any issue with doing this?
You would use at least 3/4 inch pipe for a 10 inch diameter tank. This could be PVC or poly. If your water pressure is fairly low (30 PSI I am thinking), you might go up to 1 inch. I am not a pro. For bigger tanks, which would have higher backwash rates, you might want to use a pipe pressure drop calculator.

ChadWright

Reaction score
You would use at least 3/4 inch pipe. This could be PVC.
so do you just run the flexible line out of the head into a barbed fitting thats connected to the pvc? or do you have to run pvc all the way to the head?

Reach4

Reaction score
so do you just run the flexible line out of the head into a barbed fitting thats connected to the pvc? or do you have to run pvc all the way to the head?
I don't know. With poly with thick enough walls, you should be fine, I would think. Somebody with experience would know better.

You have to watch angles and prevent kinks.

Are you running 40/60 PSI? How large is your KL tank?

http://irrigation.wsu.edu/Content/Calculators/General/Pipe-Velocity.php is one of the available pipe calculators. There are more including ones that take length into account. See reply #6 on https://terrylove.com/forums/index....ackwash-hose-length-at-1-2.67307/#post-500298

Reach4

Reaction score
I think you mean mean a 1.5 cubic ft of media in a 10x54 inch tank. You should be backwashing at about 8 GPM I think. 3/4 inch ID is probably enough.

Attachments

• img_kl10.PNG
    img_kl10.PNG
    30.1 KB · Views: 1,444
Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks