Master bedroom washroom toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

marif

Reaction score
When I bend down to look at the inside of the toilet, I see a steady stream of water trickling down to the main pond inside the toilet. Listening closely to the water (flush) tank attached, I can hear a hissing sound. Remove the lid of the tank, and pull the rod of the ball a little bit upwards (just to ease the ball support), the hissing stops, and it starts again when I release the rod so the ball is again bouyant on the water.

How can I stop the steady stream of water? Its effected our water bill in the last month (not big, but it adds up).

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Or bend the rod holding the ball a bit to force the ball deeper in the water.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
That ball is the float part of the float valve. When you flush the toilet, the flapper at the bottom of the tank is lifted by a small chain. This allows the water in the tank to rush into the toilet below. When this water drains, the float drops and the water supply valve is opened to refill the tank. A small amount of water is directed into the overflow tube to refill the bowl, and the rest of the water refills the tank. When the water rises in the tank, the float ball rises with it and when the tank is full, the float valve is supposed to shut off. Two potential problems. First, if the flapper at the bottom does not reseat, some water will continue to enter the toilet from the tank so the float valve will reopen. Second, and this is probably your problem, if the float does not raise quite high enough, it will not totally stop the flow of water. To fix this problem, you simply bend the rod the ball is attached to down a bit so the float will shut the valve tightly. If the problem is the flapper, and they do go bad, they are easily replaced and any hardware store or plumbing shop will have them. Since you say the water stops when you lift the ball slightly, I suspect the float rod needs tweaking.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It is usually a pretty simple task to replace the fill valve. Korky QuietFill or a Fluidmaster valve are quick and easy to replace, and repair parts are cheap, if they do need anything. But, ensure the flapper valve is not leaking preventing the tank from filling enough to let the fill valve to shut off, or, if it isn't leaking, bend it to apply a little more pressure. Eventually, the washer in that valve will likely require replacement. Then, I'd replace that valve.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks