Master bedroom has lower temp then rest of the house

Discussion in 'HVAC Heating & Cooling' started by Talisker, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Talisker

Talisker New Member

I have one story home and my master bedroom which is at back of the house always stays way too cold, also same thing for my study room which is at front of the house. What can I do so I get more hot air in these two room without affecting rest of the house.
  2. Reach4

Reach4 Active Member

Lots of guesses required here:

You need to balance your ducts. Close down the ducts where it is warm enough now to give more heat to the far ends.

Many hot air ducts have dampers already installed. Use those. Otherwise, just close the registers in the warmer rooms. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mL0mMD_zKaE

Also consider running the fan full time during colder weather to help balance temperatures.
  3. Dana

Dana In the trades

Sealing every seam and joint on the ducts with duct mastic, caulking the register boots to the gypsum or subfloor, and taping the seams of the air handler will make the system operate as-designed. Both the supply and return ducts matter.

Closing off ducts (and returns) even partially lowers the overall operating efficiency of the system at the same time that it increases the heat load due to increased whole-house air infiltration, but it can remediate some balance problems.

If it's under-designed from a balance point of view you may have more serious tweaking to do. Sometimes it's easier to lower the heat load of the colder rooms rather than hack the heating system, but that's a more complicated call, and may not be very cheap. (Lowering the heat load of the colder rooms would have the least effect on the rest though.)