Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stop before you wreck your house...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Users who are viewing this thread

miss0033

Reaction score
I am doing a master bath remodel and ran into a couple issues…

I have removed an old shower and an early 1980s jetted tub, during the removal I found a small leak at an elbow and 3 shut off valves that were horribly corroded to the point where it appeared they might turn to dust if I sneezed too hard. Thankfully, all of this is installed above a lay-in tile ceiling in the utility room, so I have easy access to most connections.

In that ceiling I have a ¾” Branch feed (3 separate ¾” feeds come from Water Heater).

This feed tees off and feeds a ½” line that used to feed a large jetted tub and a tub/shower combo (different bathrooms)

It tees off again and feeds a ½” line that feeds 2 lavatories a water closet and a shower (same bathroom)

Then it necks down to ½” and tees in 2. 1 feeds a shower and 1 feeds a lavatory, water closet, and utility sink. (single bathroom and laundry room).

Here is my plan;

Put a 6 port ¾” manifold (actual 1” I.D.) at the end of this branch’s ¾” hot and cold runs.

1) Run a ½” PEX line w/ shutoff that feeds existing ½” Copper feed to former tub/shower combo (Bathroom #2)
2) Run a ½” PEX line w/ shutoff that feeds 1 new PEX run to new shower with showerhead and hand shower (single Kohler mixing valve with Kohler transfer) in place of old jetted tub. (Master Bath)
3) Run a ½” PEX line w/ shutoff that feeds 3 new PEX runs 2 lavatories and a water closet (3 cold feeds-2 tees, 2 hot feeds-1tee) (Master Bath)
4) Run a ½” PEX line w/ shutoff that feeds existing ½” copper feed to Lavatory, water closer, and utility sink. (Bathroom #3 & laundry Room)
5) Run a ½” PEX line w/ shutoff that feeds existing ½” copper feed to the other shower. (Bathroom #3)
6) Cap for future use.

You may be asking where all the other fixtures are run from… Another ¾” branch runs nearby (cannot access right now) and feeds washing machine and Hose bib, then necks down to ½” and feeds a Lavatory and water closet in Bathroom #2.

The 3rd ¾” branch feeds another hose bib, and tees off to a ½” feed to kitchen sink, ½” to dishwasher, and a 3/8” feed to fridge and a 3/8” feed to RO system.

The #4 and #5, I don’t have access to the entire length of these runs, and would just be removing shutoff valves, and running PEX to marry up to copper. Would ½” copper be sufficient to run these or am I losing too much because I will essentially have 3/8” I.D. where I make my solder & crimp copper to PEX connection? Bathroom #3 is seldom used and is essentially an overnight guest bath. Bathroom #2 is frequently used by everyone and is bathroom for future child. Master bath obviously gets used every day.

So the old ½” line to a jetted tub and tub/shower combo gets split to 2 separate feeds (should help both…I think). The old ½” copper feed that ran to 2 lavatories, shower, and water closet will lose the shower and be ½” PEX with 2 tees (should help, right?) The other feeds remain the same number of fixtures and most of the feed stays the same, except a single PEX crimp connection where it meets copper, is that too big of a restriction to that many fixtures?

Right now we have a problem where if someone is taking a shower and someone else turns hot water on anywhere (kitchen sink, utility sink, dishwasher, etc.) We don’t lose pressure, we just get ice water. The valve in the new shower will be pressure balancing, which will hopefully help alleviate that problem. However, since we get ice water now, I am afraid the water pressure will drop to a trickle… Will my plan help this at all? No effect? Make it worse?

Another issue is that here is “only” 16” of vertical space in the joist/plenum area and there are some large ducts, I am worried about trying to turn the PEX without elbows in this tight of a space. If I install vertically, by the time I get the manifold and shutoff valve, I only have about 8”-10” of vertical space left to make a 90deg turn in my ½” PEX. Adding an elbow to each feed would make life easier, but essentially turns this into 3/8” I.D. PEX… right?

Any help would be appreciated. Maybe I am over thinking this. I just don’t want to make any problems worse…

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
Be aware that 1/2 copper pipe flows more (1.6 to 3.2 gpm) than 1/2 PEX (1.2 - 2.3 gpm) so for filling tubs and/or showers and washing machines (and other places where you want high flow) I would use 3/4 PEX. The only place for 3/8" line is to the icemaker (I don't know about RO demands).

Regarding the hot water issue in the Shower, while your re-plumbing your house, you may want to look at the size of your hot water heater. It is probably undersized or maybe has some other issue. You should be able to take a hot shower and turn on how water at the sink at the same time.

I'm not a plumber. However, I have run a lot of PEX in my house as I slowly replace all the in-slab PB pipe with in-attic PEX.
Be sure to get the good PEX (Wirsbo/Uponor). I used the expandable rings (ProPex Rings) which is foolproof to install but you need a special tool.

miss0033

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I am aware of the PEX reduction, which is one of the main reasons for asking the question(s). Unfortunately the Kohler valves, that I can find, have attachments for 1/2" PEX, then a 1/2" FNPT outlet. The transfer I purchased has a 3/4" FNPT inlet...

The water heater is 60 gallons. Should be decent size for 2 people. The valves I have removed are pretty old-school and small. Non-pressure balancing or anything. Simple little valve. Hopefully the new pressure balancing valve solves that issue.

Right now I am going to leave most of the plumbing alone and replace only what I need to. I have a 3/4" line that feeds a 1/2" line that tees of to serve a tub/shower and a shower w/ 2 fixtures. That is where I am worried about pressure right now. Might have to turn that first 1/2" into a 3/4" and then tee off into 2 separate 1/2" connections.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks