Master bath reconfigure

Users who are viewing this thread

D D

Reaction score
Hi, my wife would like to take out a drop in tub and put a new vanity/sink in its place in our master ensuite. Please advise if this is a straightforward project plumbing wise. The house is only five years old and the tub drain/water lines are in a spot that would fit a sink above them. Thank you.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
It can be done, but the the piping will need to be reconfigured so that there is a sanitary tee in the wall, where the drain goes down and a vent must go up.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Depending on how the piping was installed there may NOT be a tub vent in the wall to use for the sink drains. Therefore, without knowing HOW the pipes were originally installed it is impossible to tell what kind of job it is, but probably more than a "straightforward" job.

D D

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I hoped that the tub drain p trap could be cut out, 90 the drain line and go up to the sink and put in a sink drain trap. This was based on the assumption that the tub drain was vented and we could "simply" have the trap location changed a foot or so higher for a sink. Just trying to get a good handle on what I can tell my wife about how big a job this is, thus how costly it would be for a plumber to do. Is this not a possible scenario? If not, any advice on what I should be hearing from a plumber quoting this job would be appreciated.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Keep in mind that a vent is not a vent unless it comes off of the trap BEFORE the line turns down, so you cannot just raise the line for a new trap that is higher...that effectively makes an S-trap.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
What he said.... The vent must come off the horizontal trap arm. The existing tub vent only works because the tub's trap is below the floor. It will not work in that position for a sink.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Even if the tub drain has its own vent, it could be vented without one depending on how the piping is connected, it would not function as a vent for your sinks because their traps would be higher than the tub trap was.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks