Master bath DWV layout critique

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
See Sketchup drawings inline below.

Master bath, new location for toilet, shower, and tub (although along wet wall). Double pedestal lavs using old bath drain and vent.

Existing 3" stack, finished space below that we'd rather not blow up. Adhered to 1/4 slope before vents and 2" clearance from joist edges for drilling.

Some notes left to right on the underneath view:

MBR_design_DWV_Underneath.jpg

Tub vents after the turn then does a little S jog to match level of the lav line (the one going through all the studs) then joins the stack.
Lav line is pre-existing and uses every bit of joist hole/notch code to slope (2" down at the far end, 2" up on the joist at the last hole).
Planing on a Double Combo Tee Wye at the stack. Only had a model for a fixture cross, so ignore that.
Shower drain discussed below.
Toilet vents after the turn (long sweep). Final location TBD with actual stud placement.
Did not show vents tying in, but they will join the stack about 5' above the ground and then through the roof.

Notes on the shower drain drawing:

MBR_design_DWV_showerbath.jpg

Route P-trap (hidden by the joist) the away from the stack to give room to work
Turns ara 45 and long sweep 90
Vent pull off is at a 45 degree angle and gets under the wall
Then joins a slightly angled reducing wye and ties into the combo fitting to the stack. Elbow there not shown, but it should be 1/8 or 1/6.

Vent lines will be combo fittings, not sani-tees (all I had was models of sanitees and wyes)
Toilet line is 3", stack is 3", all others including vents are 2"

Gotchas, critiques, or highlighing any potential problems appreciated. Everything I know about DWV I learned here. :)

Thanks all,
Anthony

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The "shower's P trap" is not vented. Maybe if "this" had been around 65 years ago, I would not have had to spend many years going to school as an apprentice, just spend time on the Internet.

Bluebinky

Reaction score
Maybe if "this" had been around 65 years ago, I would not have had to spend many years going to school as an apprentice, just spend time on the Internet.
Perhaps take comfort in the fact that while how to do plumbing is available on the Internet, most people are not strong enough to turn a wrench nor willing to get dirty these days.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks