Mass 8th Edition Base Code & Sole Plate

Users who are viewing this thread

protivakid

Reaction score
Anyone here know the Mass 8th Edition Base Code or even the International Building Code well? I want to determine if the Sole Plate (not sill plate) for a framed room within a concrete wall basement needs to be pressure treated or not. Reading online I have seen both No & Yes. Thanks!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The question is somewhat ambiguous since "sole plate" and "sill plate" are used interchangeably. I do not know of any code that would not require pressure treated wood for any framing in contact with concrete, especially below grade.

protivakid

Reaction score
The question is somewhat ambiguous since "sole plate" and "sill plate" are used interchangeably. I do not know of any code that would not require pressure treated wood for any framing in contact with concrete, especially below grade.

From reading people call the "sill plate" the wood that sits on top of the concrete while they refer to the "sole plate" as the bottom wood of the studwall within the basement concrete. This could be wrong info. Either way I am looking for the line in the IBC that sites this NEEDS to be pressure treated. Also is there a way to treat a 2x4 after the fact? Saw there used to be something home depot sells that you drill small holes and inject into the wood.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Often, there's a layer of insulation/sealant underneath that piece...do not know if that means it would no longer technically be in contact with the concrete, but if so, then it is somewhat irrelevant.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
If you used an EPDM sill gasket (which is an excellent capillary break, AND actually air-seals, unlike the cheap foamy versions) the requirement for pressure treated is mis-placed, but may still be challenged by the inspector's interpretation.

protivakid

Reaction score
So to do this right what needs to be used? Just pressure treated 2x4's? Should I put an EPDM sill gasket under even the pressure treated wood or is that overkill?

What does code say I can use to mount it to the concrete floor? Are Ramset Fastener Pins ok?

protivakid

Reaction score
So to do this right what needs to be used? Just pressure treated 2x4's? Should I put an EPDM sill gasket under even the pressure treated wood or is that overkill?

What does code say I can use to mount it to the concrete floor? Are Ramset Fastener Pins ok?

Can anyone chime in on this?

Nukeman

Nuclear Engineer
Reaction score
Ramset is fine. Some will use tapcons instead. Make sure your Ramset fasteners are rated for PT lumber.

The EPDM sill gasket might be a little overkill, but nothing wrong with that. I used the foam sill gasket + PT lumber (with Ramset) for my basement wall sill plates (stud walls framed inside of concrete block). While you might be able to get away with regular lumber with the sill gasket (check with local inspector), but I imagine he might want to see PT lumber either way. The cost isn't much more, so I would just use PT lumber anyway.

protivakid

Reaction score
There is a "green" product that I have seen used by framers to make the wood resistant to deterioration.

Got this done with PT wood but out of curiosity what is the "green" product?

protivakid

Reaction score

ShowerDude

Showers
Reaction score
I take it this stuff is pretty toxic?

Have not used it in say 8 years! it was nasty and eventually hard to find on the shelves in Ca. ....

I doubt know that the newest versions of copper green type product is the same Chemical makeup of the original. We used to use it in aerosol form, no respirator , gloves or concerns to the general I worked for at the time......popular in exterior deck building and rotted lumber situations....

Pretty sure you can download the msds and look into chemical composition -?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks