Marking ABS?

Users who are viewing this thread

SLB

Reaction score
I have a difficult time seeing pencil marks on ABS, especially in the dim lighting in the crawl space under our house. Do the pro's use a some other type of marker, like a lumber crayon or soapstone?

-Steve

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Or what I do is to put my thumb on the lettering until I'm ready to cut it.
I haven't marked a pipe in some time.

Same with copper. Just put your thumb where the cut will be.

I will mark cast iron pipe. I don't like the chain wrapped around my thumb when I squeeze the handles together. Yellow or Red crayon.

I also use hand measurments whenever possible.
Width of hand,
Hand with thumb out,
three fingers
two fingers,
and whatever I can think of that works quickly.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Yeah, you always get the last word in.
I put my thumb there to remind myself of where I'm supposed to remember it for.
Kind of like repeating someones name a few times.
Hey.......what the heck were we talking about?

SLB

Reaction score
Thanks guys. In this case, I'll be cutting a couple of sections out of an existing drain line and inserting a couple of combination wyes to accomodate the relocation of a toilet and shower. I already have the vents roughed-in, so I was trying to be fairly (overly?) precise with the alignment. :)

I have a silver paint pen for writing on computer disks, so I might give that a try.

-Steve

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
marks

You may find that if you are "overprecise" on the measurement to insert a fitting, that it will not go into place. That is one time where being a bit sloppy towards the "large" side can be a benefit. The problem with using your thumb is that the cutter is not always within arm's reach.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks