Mark 89 Salty Water

Users who are viewing this thread

bfmcfarlane

Reaction score
I bought a house two months ago with a Mark 89. I added 4 bags of softener and recharged. Everything worked great. Today I added 4 more bags and recharged. The water was very salty so I waited 3 hours and recharged again. Water is still salty.

Any suggestions how to get the water to not be salty? I read that this could be because there is too much brine but I am not sure how to resolve.

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
Causes for salty water are: DLFC (drain flow control) clogged, restricted drain line, partial air drawn during brining cycle, or no water after brine cycle. I would start with the DLFC and the drain line.

bfmcfarlane

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. We noticed that the salty water only occurs when you turn on the hot water. If you only have the cold water on, then the water is not salty. One other thing that we noticed is that the water does not appear to be "soft". I am sure this makes sense to both of you, but not me.

So start with the DLFC and the drain line - I have no clue what I am doing here so any tips or guidance would be of great help!

Rjh2o

Reaction score
If the DLFC is plugged or restricted the unit will not rinse properly and the final rinse will be insufficient or if the drain line is plugged the same thing occurs. Make sure the system is on the correct time of day also. It is designed to regenerate at 2am when set at proper TOD. If you are using water while it is regenerating you may be filling the water heater with salty/hard water. If there is a hot water faucet that is dripping/leaking it may be filling the WH with salty/hard water also.
RJ

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks