Marble Threshold Height Above Tiles

Users who are viewing this thread

Newmantjn

Reaction score
Trying to figure out what to do with my yet to be purchased marble threshold.

What is the minimum/maximum and optimal height that the top of the threshold should be above the tile?

How much height should I allow for the thinset etc.?

Option #1 = Ditra with tile: 1/4" nominal tile thickness + 1/8" Ditra + thinset under ditra + thinset over ditra.
Option #2 = Hardibacker with tile : 1/4" nominal tile thickness + 1/4" Hardibacker + thinset under Hardibacker + Thinset over Hardibacker.

I have the ability to adjust the subfloor a bit under the threshold. I currently have 1/2" plywood (original construction + 3/4" plywood, recently added by me. Next layer is either Ditra or hardibacker,

Reach4

Reaction score
What is the minimum/maximum and optimal height that the top of the threshold should be above the tile?
While a Neato or Roomba robot vacuum can typically cross a 3/4 inch tall threshold, I would not feel comfortable with such a high threshold. It could be a tripping hazard IMO. A 3/16 or quarter inch seems about right to me to be enough to keep spilled water from passing. I am not a pro.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The marble threshold at my mother's house into the bathroom is in the order of at least 1/2" on the tiled side, and a slight bit taller on the wood flooring in the hall. It's been about 5-years since installation, and hasn't presented itself as a major problem. Visually, it does stick out, so at least when there's enough light, you don't have an issue. I've walked into there a number of times at night when visiting without turning on the lights and have never tripped. If you can manipulate the stackup to make it smaller, it's still probably a good idea. The threshold that was installed at my mother's has a 45-degree angle cut on both sides that's probably close to 3/8-1/2" across, so it's not a straight step up.

Newmantjn

Reaction score
Thanks. I would to keep it 1/4" or smaller. Is it OK to mount the threshold directly to the the plywood underlayment? The rest of the bathroom would get either ditra or hardibacker.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Probably not a problem. Typically, natural stone requires two layers of plywood, and if you tile directly to it, you need a premium modified thinset. Industry standards call for the structure to be twice as stiff as for ceramic tile. Given the thickness of the typical threshold, you could take a chance and ignore those guidelines...sometimes, you get lucky. Being natural stone, it will have some weakness in it in the veins, etc.

Take extra care to ensure you get 100% coverage underneath. It typically takes some effort on a larger 'tile' to smush the trowel ridges and spread the thinset to cover the entire surface.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks